Sunday, February 4, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings #98

Welcome back to the longest-running weekly feature in the history of...this blog. Let's look at what's up in streaming video as we try to figure out something to watch to distract us from one of the worst matchups in the history of "the big game."

1) Unnamed Roku Channel: OK, there's a channel that is available in the Roku Store (i.e., not a private channel), it has tremendous content (much of it not streaming anywhere else), aaaaaand I am pretty sure it isn't licensing the material. I am not gonna name it and risk ruining a good thing, but this is the best new channel to come along in ages.

2) WWE Network: Last weekend's NXT Takeover and Royal Rumble earned high praise, next week brings an anticipated drop of Coliseum Video content, and Mid-Atlantic is great. This network is delivering right now.

3) Netflix: Altered Carbon gets the headlines this weekend, but Netflix added a few odds and ends with the beginning of the month. A new strategy seems to be to add a few franchises each month and hope that tides over the movie fans. This time, it's the American Pie movies and the Ocean's movies. OK, it's not as exciting as the Godfather trilogy, but did the Coppola movies ever cast Eugene Levy?

In other news, One Day at a Time suddenly became the best sitcom of all time, or at least that's what I gather by reading the critics.

4) Hulu:  Added One Tree Hill and Everwood  and made a lot of people happy. I wasn't one of them, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. They could please me by adding those MTM shows. Oh, and they responded to a support question I had on Twitter.

5) YouTube: One of the best channels out there is ClassicMLB11, who has been uploading cool snippets, promos, and miscellaneous videos in addition to game footage. You can't go wrong watching Tom Seaver teach you how to calculate earned run average.

6) The CW: I was just joking about making Barry Allen's prison stint last as long as it did in the comic books, but for a few minutes this week, I thought that might actually happen.

7) Amazon Prime: Am I the only one who had never heard of this new Prime Original Absentia? It has Stana Kacic. That's something, right?  I don't even think Prime is pushing it. Does this really exist? Who am I? What am I doing here? Is Stana Kacic here? I'm spelling her name wrong, aren't I?

8) Roku Channel: Not to be confused with Unnamed Roku Channel, this one added seasons of I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, and Good Times. I saw an episode of the latter with no commercials. Why aren't those series on Crackle?

9) Nosey: heaven help me, but I am directly responsible for my sister watching this, too.

10) TuneIn: I was listening to a good deal of Internet radio this week and was prepared to rank this higher until I heard a Streisand song and nearly dropped this out of the top 10.

No comments: