Saturday, March 17, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings #103

I will try to be concise this week. I confess I actually (GASP) watched some DVDs this week, too.

1) Filmstruck: This one continues to impress, and as I have been telling people, it actually has me watching movies on a regular basis again. New collections this week include "Young Love" (with Splendor in the Grass) and Bob Rafelson's Hollywood (with Easy Rider and Five Easy Pieces). If you were curious to see A Brief History of Time after the death of Stephen Hawking, it's right here.

2) Amazon Prime: It's pretty slow on Prime Video unless you're into Sneaky Pete, but I am still enjoying Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. The fact those Dean Martin roasts are up here should give Prime a pass for weeks if not months.

Fascinating numbers leaked this week, including a metric Amazon uses that gives credit to a series for pulling in subscribers. Let this be a lesson to you: If you start binging a show after getting Prime, Amazon is gonna count it as a notch on that series' belt.

Oh, and I think this new add Moonshine County Express (1977) looks pretty cool.

3) Warner Archive Instant: I'm still spending a large portion of my streaming video time here, but sadly, I saw an actual end date for WAI: April 26. Watch up until then, existing subscribers!

4) Hulu: Hulu should be high in the coming weeks now that the network shows are back (and debuting) after the Olympics. This week, though, it gets credit for putting up that OJ interview show a day after it aired and running it without commercials like a movie. Yes, I watched it, and no, I am not proud.

5) Netflix: I am curious about Carey Mulligan in the new series Collateral, which was totally overshadowed by Jessica Jones and Love. And, wait, there is a docuseries about the Rajneesh movement in Oregon? Yes, there is! That might get me away from Cheers and Frasier reruns.

6) YouTube: I love that there is a user on here who uploads stuff like 1998 MTV Spring Break specials.

7) Boomerang: Kudos to Boomerang for launching a curated Easter collection this weekend with a mixture of specials and shorts.

8) The CW: I don't watch Riverdale, but the sight of Andy Cohen on an upcoming episode (according to the ad I saw while watching Black Lightning) would get me to stop.

9) Acorn TV: I have never seen 1990s Britcom Goodnight, Sweetheart, but it looks pretty good. Acorn also announced acquisition of Reilly Ace of Spies. Britbox seems to get more headlines these days, but Acorn is still doing work.

10) Nosey: Yes, I watched another episode of Sally, OK? It was hilarious! I regret nothing!

Actually, I do. I was less ashamed to watch that OJ special.

No comments: