Sunday, September 23, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings #129

I feel like the Emmys should play a big part in these rankings, but I didn't watch the ceremony, and nearly a week later, I feel like everyone has already forgotten about the awards.

1) HBO: Hey, Netflix, you did quite well, but HBO is still around and still way too expensive. We could all expect Game of Thrones to win Emmys, but what a showing for Barry. In addition to its own Emmy dominance, HBO celebrates the premiere of The Shape of Water and the streaming debut of Arli$$.

OK, let's not hold that last one against it.

2) Netflix: I'm still amazed that Netflix got an Emmy for Seven Seconds. Broadcast networks must really be going nuts to see a series like that, one hardly anyone remembers existed, win a huge award (Regina Hall). So Netflix must be feeling pretty good about itself.

New series this weekend include Maniac, reuniting Emma Stone and Jonah hill. I mean, everyone loves Emma Stone, right? And Jonah Hill...Well, Emma Stone seems to like him, so he can't be all bad, I guess. I saw some ads for The Good Cop  with Tony Danza and Josh Groban, and, so help me, it looks entertaining. Plus there's a documentary about Quincy Jones, and I sure hope it's 90 minutes of him rambling and dissing other celebrities.

3) Amazon Prime Video: I was pleased to see the love for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,  but perhaps more importantly, something called A Few Conversdations with Dabney Coleman just showed up. Also, random old movies from Sony and MGM keep showing up here.

4) YouTube: Tommy Wiseau's The Room (not to be confused with Jean Renoir's The Room) is now streaming officially on YouTube. 'Nuff said.

On the off chance that isn't 'nuff, last week the awesome Super 70s Sports Twitter account posted a photo of Burt Reynolds doing commentary in the CBS booth for a bowl game. A few clicks later, and I discover it's the Sun Bowl, and the complete broadcast is on YouTube. Life...is good!

5) Hulu: An also-ran at the Emmys, and is anyone talking about The First? Fortunately, I go there for stuff like Seinfeld and more classic TV.

6) CBS All Access: I think season 2 of Happy Days  is new here, and the fact that this service is quietly increasing its library bodes well. Plus the show page says, "Watch from the beginning," which is annoying as anything if it's only this one season, but will be nice if it means the whole run is coming. I also note the series--well, the token 12 episodes or whatever--is no longer on Hulu. Hmm...

I have one more week of my month trial, and I am enjoying what I am seeing. I did regret watching the end of a boring Indy/Washington game just to hope the CBS feed would switch to the Steelers game. Oh, it DID switch, and that's why I regretted it: I had to watch the sad resolution to that one.

7) Filmstruck: I can't say I'm thrilled about Debbie Reynolds being Star of the Week, but I admire the scope of the collection and the variety it represents. Plus I finally saw Night Moves with Gene Hackman, some prehistoric film animation, and an old episode of Studio One.

8) CBS Sports HQ: I only got a quick look on Saturday night, but it was valuable: scores and highlights with no fuss. This is a nice destination for cord-cutting sports fans,

9) NBC: I had way more fun than I should have watching an old Charles in Charge guest-starring the great 80s icon Jerry Levine, who was in Teen Wolf and...hey, wait. How was this guy not in like hundreds of movies in the eighties? I mean, he has a fine career and is a prolific broadcast TV director now, but, wow, I would have thought he was in everything.

10) Britbox: I have never subscribed, but I took a look at the offerings the other day. It's quietly assembled a decent lineup of new and vintage programming, I like the emphasis on "panel shows," (like a new one featuring Alan Davies), and a new sitcom with John Cleese should count for something.

No comments: