Sunday, November 11, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings #135

My sincere wishes for happiness and health to all our veterans on this holiday, and  to anyone who served, especially in combat, feel free to stream whatever the heck you want today and ignore these ratings.

Well, actually, I'd appreciate it if you read the ratings first, but you know what I mean.

1) YouTube/YouTube TV: The more I use YouTube TV, the more I am convinced it is the best cable alternative out there for live TV, though I have not yet tried Philo nor Hulu's service. Its basic channel lineup is great, it's streaming reliable for live shows, and so far I have had no problems with the DVR.

Plus some of my favorite uploaders have been killing it with the new vids lately. Sure, Google is developing a ton of personal info on me and likely using it for nefarious purposes, but I am numbing myself with that sweet, sweet idiot box.

2) Amazon Prime Video: "Hmm, should I finally dive into [insert title of high-profile original series]? Nah, I think I'll just put on one of these Leon Errol shorts Prime has."

My experience aside, one of the bigger untold stories in streaming video this fall is the quiet but substantial influx of movies from the Warner library. I mean, Deliverance, Network, Diner, Dog Day Afternoon, A Clockwork Orange, and more are all recent additions. Plus Prime is already well positioned for Christmas with It's a Wonderful Life and the 1951 Alistair Sim Scrooge. The latter appeared this week and, if I am not mistaken, is not usually available for streaming.

3) Netflix: A news story on Indiewire discussed Parrot Analytics' report of the top 10 most popular shows on streaming right now, and Stranger Things topped it despite being on hiatus. In fact, Netflix had 8 of the top 10 (Hulu's Handmaid's Tale and Castle Rock were the exceptions), proving its dominance. I don't know if Parrot knows what it's doing, but this list doesn't surprise me.

4) Hulu: It added yet another long-running popular series to its library this week: Married with Children. I am enjoying Hulu quite a bit lately. However, I am worried that Disney's Bob  Iger is already dropping hints about raising the prices and talking about increasing original programming. Personally, I'd rather Disney let Netflix spend all its $ on original content and Hulu continue buying all the old shows Netflix has abandoned. Normally the idea of a mega corporation like Disney committing to "improving" Hulu would be great, but I don't have any faith that it will continue the way I want it to...and, hey, these are my rankings (Thank you for your service, though).

5) Filmstruck: Time to start phasing it out of the rankings even though it is getting more attention now than it ever did, AND it is still adding movies and reminding us how much it sucks that is is being terminated. Will the petition circulating have any effect? I doubt it. Even if someone had the wherewithal to start something, even using those Criterion titles as a starting point, will Warners let them license those movies?

6) CBS All Access: I'm catching up on season 2 of Superior Donuts and becoming even fonder of its brand of light but well-meaning social relevance. Diane Guerrero doesn't hurt, either.

7) NBC:  I am gonna hate myself for even putting this out there, but...[deep breath] NBC's streaming outlet is getting to the point where, with a little more library content, I could see myself springing for a $5/month ad-free version of it.

8) WWE Network: It remains infuriating with its recent approach (or lack thereof) to adding classic content, and the less said about Crown Jewel the better, but, boy, oh, boy, did I like seeing this week's Hidden Gem: the "failed pilot" for the AWA's Team Challenge Series, complete with horrible green screen, empty studio matches, and foxy boxing for no apparent reason.



9) Starz: Time to start checking in with Starz again for Outlander--I mean, uh, for other old shows. Seriously, Outlander  is a really big deal, right?

10 The CW: I am personally watching my superhero "stories" on YouTube TV right now, but I have to give CW some love for making them available for free on its app.

No comments: