Sunday, December 16, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings #140

This week's rankings are out a little later than usual because the streamosphere is SO full of yuletide cheer that it took longer to compile the list.
'
1) Netflix: Back on top after a weekend filled with originals and events, including acclaimed film Roma, Springsteen on Broadway, Voltron, and Fuller House. I "forgot" to tell my kids about that last one, though I did enjoy seeing a holiday episode of Nailed It with them. I'm also catching up on some movies before they leave, like the absorbing Spotlight.

2) Amazon Prime Video: It was a quieter week for ads, and I heard that they list the colorized version of It's a Wonderful Life as the default. What the deuce? Still, I had such a good time watching The Honeymooners Christmas Special that I have to give Prime a high spot.

3) YouTube: Again an invaluable resource for podcast prep for me, plus old Christmas-themed ads and promos. On the YouTube TV side, Local Now is a new and welcome addition to the base channel lineup.

4) Best Christmas Channel Ever: The free Roku streamer shoots up in the rankings on the strength of offering the 1981 George Burns Christmas special with Bob Hope.

5) Hulu: Not to sound like a Scrooge, but I just can't fully embrace A very Brady Christmas the way I want to because of the disrespect it shows for Sam the Butcher.

6) DAZN: Boxing-and-MMA-centric sports streamer signed superstar Canelo Alvarez to a big deal, and it showed his latest fight Saturday, garnering a ton of pub.

7) Roku Channel: I just noticed that it has added a season of The Patty Duke Show.

8) Boomerang: These new Tom and Jerry cartoons aren't totally embarrassing. In other news, how in the world did Magilla Gorilla never do a Christmas episode?

9) CBS All Access: I decided to tear myself away from Perry Mason to sample some of the originals on here. First up is Strange Angels, which I hope is as interesting as its premise.

10) Starz: Quietly added Knight Rider and Miami Vice to its Encore channels and app while dropping Magnum P.I. and The A-Team. Perhaps the latter two will join the former pair on the NBC app, though they will be stuffed with commercials on that platform.

1 comment:

Sam said...

If you are using P2P streaming services like Popcorn Time or want to access geo-restricted content like different Netflix libraries, BBC iPlayer, Hulu or Amazon Prime this Christmas, then Ivacy VPN is the only way to go. Ivacy is built for High-Speed VPN connection so that you can enjoy seamless Online Streaming, Unlimited Bandwidth, and a Secure Web-surfing experience.
Christmas VPN Deal