Sunday, February 24, 2019

Streaming Video Power Rankings #150 (Special "150 is a cool round number" Edition)

Hello, readers! It's a quick one this week as I prepare to maybe semi-watch the Academy Awards,

1) Netflix: The Umbrella Academy looks like a hit, and Netflix also unleashed some other stuff of interest, but for me, it was all about watching some things with my kids and getting back into the easily watchable Friends. I wonder if a lot of people are sufficiently spooked by the prospect of the forthcoming Warner/AT&T service to just watch as much of the show now.

2) Amazon Prime Video: I buzzed through another season of Corner Gas, and Amazon keeps adding some interesting-looking older documentaries about movie stars like Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, and the like. The new docuseries This Giant Beast may well make the economy entertaining fodder (and not just confusing and/or depressing). I continue to be intrigued by oddball stuff that shows up like The Mighty Kong, a 1998 animated straight-to-video effort starring Dudley Moore. Honestly, I don't think I knew Moore was even alive in 1998.

3) Hulu: I dipped a toe into Hulu Appreciation Week but didn't really commit beyond a Seinfeld or two. After this coming week, I will no longer have YouTube TV, though, and will rely on Hulu for the current shows I watch, like...Wait, none of those shows come to Hulu. Well, there's always Seinfeld.

4) YouTube/YouTube TV: I have one more week of YTTV to enjoy, and I am trying to clear my DVR. I am loving all the content on one of my favorite channels--one devoted to vintage MLB footage and games--but I fear it's pushing it with some of the stuff it's uploading and is risking trouble. So forget I mentioned it.

5) DC Universe: Doom Patrol is a bona fide hit, and I am exploring some more of the service's library. Yes, reports are that actual subscriber base is low, but I am enjoying this at the reduced price I enjoy right now.

6) Roku Channel: Roku had a very good week on Wall Street due in part to the ad revenue (present and future potential) generated by this.

7) Pluto TV: I have no interest in watching live red carpet coverage of the Academy Awards, but People TV or whatever is offering that on Pluto, and Pluto is proud of it. So if you're anxious to see what Richard E. Grant and Marina de Tavira are wearing, this might be your shot.

8) HBO: I've been catching up on some movies here (Funny People--interesting in spots but too long and doesn't really come together for me), but HBO is also running an original movie with Jeffrey Wright (O.G.). It's a slow week for streaming, but it looks like HBO will have a strong March.

9) Showtime: Desus and Mero debuted on the channel this week and just may deliver more buzz and young viewers to Showtime than anything else in recent memory/

10) Epix: Let's close out the trifecta of premium services with Epix, which launched a standalone SVOD network recently to practically no reaction. I don't see how this can thrive unless it beefs up its original programming and lets its movie deal die (right now, all its big movies go to Hulu and Prime several months later), but more power to them. Personally I wish there was one less big outlet and all this stuff were consolidated a bit, but if Epix is going to exist, it should be available without a cable subscription.

No comments: