Sunday, March 31, 2019

Streaming Video Power Rankings #155

1) Hulu: First it cut prices. Now it is reducing commercials. What a novel strategy--trying to appeal to customers by making the product more attractive.

2) MLB TV: Baseball is back! MLB did me a solid by making the Pirates the free game of the day, but if you want to check out the whole season, an annual sub is yours for the price of $140, which, rumors to the contrary, is indeed less than the Pirates' 2019 payroll.

3) Netflix: Any hopes I had that the Lori Loughlin scandal would make Netflix pull Fuller House were squashed as my kids continued their third or fourth series rewatch. Meanwhile, Santa Clarita Diet launches season 3 (!) this weekend, and I am interested in Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson in The Highwaymen, a movie about the guys who pursued Bonnie and Clyde.

4) YouTube: Lots of great old stuff showed up here this week, with my favorite being this match courtesy of the great Monsoon Classic:




I was mad about this match and the result for--well, I still get upset thinking about it! I was glad to review the original broadcast experience, though.

5) Boomerang: It added the most content I can remember in some time, throwing up Captain Cavemen and the Teen Angels and several of the NBC Flintstones revivals, like The Flintstones Comedy Show. I actually kind of want to sigh up for a month to check some of this out now.

6) Philo: My current jam is American Soul on BET, which I can see through Philo. On another note, AMC on Demand is the absolute worst as far as commercial interruptions go--ads early and often, including the same Killing Eve trailer twice during the same break. If you think that's gonna get people to buy AMC Premium, you are wrong. It's just gonna annoy people.

7) Locast: I was glad to be able to sit down and watch some of the NCAA Tournament through Locast, only to find out I had screwed up and missed the game I wanted to see.

8) HBO: Welcome back, Barry and Veep! I liked 2017's 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, which I caught before it exited the service this week.

9) Sling TV: It's offering some heavy discounts to grab new subs, and it also added MLB Network just in time for the season. In a period in which DirectTV Now and Fubo are hiking their prices, Sling deserves credit for looking the other way.

10) PIX11: The good news is it finished its Only in New York documentary series and also added a 1990 tribute to Phil Rizzuto. The bad news is, wow, it had some big-time buffering issues on my Roku the other day.

No comments: