Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Movie I Am Destined Never to See?

Perhaps it's fate. I am starting to think I will never see a certain movie I wanted to see last year, and maybe that's just the way it is. After all, I am never going to date Salma Hayek, I am never going to own a luxurious mansion in Aruba, and I am never going to play third base for the Pittsburgh Pirates (well, that one might not be impossible...).

So why should I automatically get to see "Live Free or Die Hard"?

At first, it seemed easy. Go to a theater and see it. But summer was ending, time was slipping, and, well, I never did get to the cineplex for the fourth "Die Hard" epic. OK, this one's my bad.

Then it came to DVD, and I kept finding other things to rent. Ok, my bad, too.

Then someone gave me a few discs of movies obtained from, er, unconventional sources. This disc wouldn't play in any of my players. OK, this is just everyone's bad.

A few weeks back, I was at the grocery store and in the mood for an impulse rental at a Redbox kiosk. The impulse struck: "Rent Live Free or Die Hard, man. You said you wanted to see this one. So see it, already, you idjit!" My impulses can really be cantankerous.

I rented it for a buck, took it home, and WHAMMO. I found out the disc was the dreaded foolscreen, AKA fullscreen, AKA pan and scan version. I didn't want to watch the stupid fool-screen version. There was no indication in the kiosk that it was an FS deal, and I had never gotten one from them before, but there it was.

I felt like pitching that sucker off the top of Cultureshark Tower and watching it plummet like Hans Gruber in the original "Die Hard." Instead, I returned it without watching it.

Am I destined to never see this movie? Perhaps. It seems that destiny has taken a turn and persisted in blocking me from seeing the latest dose of John McLane mayhem and fun.

"Hey, why don't you just rent it from Netflix, or go to a video store and grab the widescreen version?" you might ask.

What, and ruin a blog post idea?

No comments: