Sunday, July 20, 2008

They just don't make 'em like they used to

This year, I've bought (or had given me) 3 things that just flat-out didn't work. I'm talking fresh out of the box, in perfect shape to the naked eye, but useless once you start assembling them and (Heaven forbid) try to USE them.

In no particular order, a baby papasan (it's a little seat that vibrates; I have no idea why it's called a papasan except maybe to give me an excuse to sing, "Mama say, mama saw ma papusan" each time I put my daughter in it) would not assemble because a flawed piece just would not fit. Then I discovered a diaper champ (a glorified trash can) we were given wouldn't work because a vinyl ring wouldn't stay where is it supposed to. Capping off the trifecta of crummy products, our new shower head leaked because a little piece inside (sorry to use such an obscure plumbing term) wasn't providing a proper seal.

I'm no Mr. Fix-It, but I got second opinions on each of these products, and I can assure you they just weren't right. I don't care if this stuff is made in China or Timbuktu or Gotham City, but I think my expectation that it work is a reasonable one.

Am I setting my standards too high? Is going back to the store and exchanging a defective product just part of the way consumers have to do business these days? If quality control is going to be on the decline, it would be nice if retail prices followed.

Just remember this, folks: Save your receipts.

No comments: