Sunday, August 17, 2008

Operation Petticoat

One of RTN's offerings in particular represents both a high and a low for me. When I first looked at my local affiliate's Retro Television Network schedule, "Operation Petticoat" stood out in its Sunday morning back-to-back episodes spot. The adaptation of the Cary Grant-Tony Curtis movie sounded vaguely familiar, but if I ever saw reruns, it was on the short-lived HA! network if anything. It starred John Astin, with Tony's daughter Jamie Lee in a supporting role. Worth a look, right?

Unfortunately, the first episode I saw didn't do much for me. Astin, memorable as he was elsewhere, didn't seem right as the head honcho of the submarine. The jokes just weren't that sharp, and while there was a mild "before they were stars" thrill from seeing Curtis and Jim Varney in the cast, I just wasn't into the show, and I bowed out halfway through the second episode.

In fact, I was even more disappointed when I saw the credits at the end of that first show and saw that Leonard Stern was an executive producer. Even before he became a producer on "Get Smart," Stern wrote for two of the best sitcoms of all time, "The Phil Silvers Show" and "The Honeymooners." So, man, if he had any involvement at all, you'd think"Petticoat" would have been funnier.

So, yeah, this one stands out as a real disappointment on RTN's schedule. Now, that in itself isn't a big deal, as there are plenty of better shows to enjoy. But I also look at it this way: The presence of a show like "Operation Petticoat" represents not just a low for the network, but a real high.

See, this show only lasted 30-some episodes, and while it turns out not to be a lost gem, it certainly hasn't been played to death over the years. Even though I'm not a fan of this particular short-lived series, I'm pleased that RTN is giving it a run. Back when TV Land was, you know, good, it didn't rely on perennials like "The Beverly Hillbillies" and "MASH," heavily rerun favorites with hundreds of episodes in the can. It showed rarer programs with fewer offerings. That was part of the charm and fun of TV Land (I only regret I was too young, foolish, and/or busy at the time to take much advantage).

Television history isn't just long-lasting classics like "All in the Family" and "Gunsmoke." It's stuff like "Honey West" and "Best of the West" and programs that don't have "West" in the title. So while I won't be watching "Operation Petticoat" Sunday mornings, I hope others enjoy it and do, and I'm glad RTN is showcasing it.

Besides, maybe they'll put something else on after they go through that couple dozen.

1 comment:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Actually, Astin did his best work with Stern on the short-lived but oh-so-achingly-funny I'm Dickens, He's Fenster. That's a sitcom I'd love to see show up on RTN.