Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Last week in DVD

Blogging is inherently a self-indulgent exercise in many respects, but putting up a post about last week's DVD releases may be pushing it. "Like we need to read what this jerk thinks about G.I. Joe?" But I started off trying a "Last Week and This Week in DVD" post, then it spiraled out of control, and I decided to split it up. So you get to read what this jerk thinks about "G.I. Joe."

G.I. Joe: OK, I didn't see this movie.

But I will say this: We've seen the Real American Hero, we've seen TWO Transformers movies...On behalf of every red-blooded male who grew up playing with toys in the eighties, I gotta ask: Where's that live-action My Little Pony film?


I Love You, Beth Cooper: Sure, this Chris Columbus adaptation of the outstanding Larry Doyle comic novel garnered wretched reviews, reviews so negative star Hayden Paniettere must have longed for the relative acclaim surrounding "Heroes." But you know what? I love the book, and I'm confident that after seeing this one on DVD...

I'll still love the book.

Sony Film Noir Set: A 5-film box set of old Columbia noir/crime flicks with extras galore. All I can say is, Sony is bringing it lately.


Claudette Colbert Collection: Sure wish Universal would unleash some of the noirs it controls, but film fans should be happy with this release, a rather unheralded one from what I gather. I guess Universal sees the marketing potential of Colbert since her great grandson is so prominent on Comedy Central. I sure hope Comedy picks up "Weeknight Update with Bob Noir."


Taking of Pelham 1-2-3: Fortunately for all of us, this remake was halfway decent enough that we don't have to grapple with the difficult issue of whether it's too soon to make fun of John Travolta.

Food, Inc.: Why does it seem like every few months now, there's some new documentary or feature telling me why everything I eat is morally and dietarily wrong? Big Food needs to come out with a counterattack. Or at least give us some free burgers.

Hardwired: A direct to video Cuba Gooding/Val Kilmer pairing. This is both funny and sad, but most of all, it's not at all surprising.


The Room: I've read lots of good things about this notoriously bad movie. Some say it's even worse than "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," and to them I reply, "Oh, come on!" I mean, like anybody remained conscious through that one. Getting back to "The Room," at least Cuba Gooding and Val Kilmer didn't wind up in it.


Mission Impossible Season 7: A series all wrapped up! Paramount released it in 7 sets, not 14, and as far as I can tell, the world is spinning, and it figures to keep going (until everything goes kerblooey in 2012, of course, at which point Paramount might be up to season 3 of "My Three Sons).

No comments: