Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Every silver lining has a dark cloud: The dark side of recent DVD news

Even in the face of a troubled economy and a deteriorating DVD landscape, we've seen some positive news in recent months about future video releases.

Well, I'm here to point out the dark side. Why not? I am not saying these news items aren't worthy of a smile, a mild celebration, maybe even a weekend bender fueled by copious amounts of Rick and Cokes. But the contrarian side of me (I like to think of it as the realistic side, but I'm giving everyone else the benefit of the doubt) can't help but ponder the flip side (and, hey, at least most studios aren't still cramming episodes on the flip sides of individual discs--see, I can be positive, too).

ITEM: Shout Select brings numerous TV on DVD releases direct to the fans!
FLIP SIDE: I think it's great that this company is at least sort of committed to continuing to release series like "Room 222" and "The Bill Cosby Show." But TV Shows on DVD mentioned the other day that Shout is going the website-only route because "the brick-and-mortar store chains have began declining lately to pick up certain 'retro TV' titles, such as this one."

This is true, and as someone who used to enjoy not just shopping for DVDs but looking at them in brick and mortar store chains, I think it stinks. But it's not like this is a new phenomenon. And what about those numerous online storefronts? I'm sure Amazon and Deep Discount would be glad to carry those releases. I just have a hard time believing Shout has to go this route, which makes the sets about 30%-40% more expensive for the fans.

ITEM: Infinity resumes the long-stalled "The Real McCoys" with a season 4 set this summer, at a reasonable price, no less. I don't own any of the 3 previously released seasons, but I enjoyed sampling one of my father's sets of the Walter Brennan comedy show--in fact, I enjoyed it way more than I expected--and I'm glad to see the show still has life on video.
FLIP SIDE: The episodes are presumably still hacked up, a la ones on previous releases. I think I could like "McCoys" enough to support DVD sets done right...but there's no indication yet that Infinity is suddenly gonna roll out uncut shows halfway through the series run. It's a shame to think this is all we're gonna get and that we can like it or lump it.

ITEM: Warner Brothers continues releasing classic Looney Tunes with individual discs dedicated to Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck.
FLIP SIDE: Has anyone seen the price on these things? I have, as I added them to my wish list. 20 bucks for 15 cartoons. Maybe I was spoiled by the late, lamented Golden Collection box sets--OK, I know I was--but this seems steep considering the lack of bonuses. WB has a pretty good strategy, I'll admit--for many buyers, a cheaper single disc will be an easier purchase than a multi-disc set--but relatively speaking, this isn't as "cheaper" as I hoped.

And, yeah, I know it's cheaper than 20 bucks everywhere, yada, yada, yada. I see a lot of backlash whenever someone points out a high MSRP of an upcoming DVD, with people chiming in that "it won't actually go for that," or, "shop around and you can find deals. Well, duh. But the deals would be much better if the MSRP weren't so high in the first place!

ITEM: CBS/Paramount Video finally announces Season 1 of "The Phil Silvers Show" (AKA "Sgt. Bilko")
FLIP SIDE: What can I possibly find to complain about in a news item about the DVD release of the first season of one of the all-time best TV sitcoms--nay, TV shows--ever? And the company even managed to throw in some of the bonus material from the 50th Anniversary set. AND it's not even a split-season set.

I feel bad about complaining; I really do. But look how they have us trained to celebrate the packaging of a whole season of a TV show, as if it were a special treat for the fans. What really troubles the back of my humble mind, though, is there is no guarantee the remaining seasons are forthcoming.

I know, I know, even if they aren't, so what? I still have an opportunity to upgrade my *ahem* editions with good-looking, uncut episodes of what is arguably the show's best run, anyway. But Mama Shark's blue-eyed boy has a completist strain inside him that cringes at the prospect of waiting 8 years to get the whole run of "Bilko," or worse yet, never getting that run.

Yeah, if I can worry about THIS one, there may be no hope for me. But, hey, somebody's gotta say these things sometimes. I'll try to put on a happy face, but I still have my concerns...

No comments: