Sunday, May 16, 2010

Words of Wisdom from the Bowery Boys

I'm watching "Smuggler's Cove" Saturday, the latest installment in TCM's ongoing "hopefully running all the way through to the end" Bowery Boys series, and this exchange cracks me up:

Sach sees a tigerskin rug on the floor and gasps a bit, exclaiming, "Ooh! A bagel tiger!"

To which Slip retorts, "It's not BAGEL tiger, it's BEAGLE tiger, you moron!"

And then, of course, he takes a swat at him.

I don't know how it plays in print--it makes me laugh because I already saw it--but it's hilarious on screen, just one of the many goofy moments that amuse me each week in this series. There's just something about the way Huntz Hall and Leo Gorcey interact that gets me.

The Greatest Channel Known to Mankind didn't earn its reputation by playing "Some Like It Hot" every two weeks, but rather by playing the gems (and not gems) that aren't as widely circulated in the culture today. I'm loving these Bowery Boys films, to the extent that I usually watch each Saturday's offering the same day. That may not be a big deal to normal folk, but I have unwatched movies from last summer on my DVR.

The Boys take a break for Memorial Day weekend, but let's hope Turner Classic Movies continues the series.

No comments: