Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Dream Theater (guest-starring John C. Reilly)

Time once again for "Dream Theater," in which I share an actual dream I had recently. Play psychoanalyst at home!

I apologize for not remembering more of this one. I was at some kind of college-type setting, at least something like a dorm with communal living, and John C. Reilly showed up as himself. He wasn't playing a role, but rather just hanging out.

I don't know what his purpose was, but I know what his actions were. He soon lay down on his belly with his legs kicked up behind him and started leafing through some kind of etiquette book, almost as if he were a bobbysoxer checking out Fabian pictures in a teen mag. For reasons known only to him and my deepest subconscious, he started rattling off questions like, "Hey, what wine would go well with that? What kind of meal would you serve in this case?" I think there were less specific queries in there as well, something about guest combinations.

Now, I stress here, John (After sharing a dream with him, I'm comfortable calling him that) wasn't being a jerk about it, but I don't think he was looking for info, either. I got the impression he was testing me in a playful sort of way.

Unfortunately, I didn't know anything, and I finally stopped him and said in a good-natured tone, "What's the deal? You come over here, and all you want to do is ask entertaining trivia. It's not even entertaining trivia, but trivia about entertaining." Not a bad line if I say so myself, or at least I was proud of it in the dream. John looked around and chuckled with a big smile on his face, as if to say, "Yeah, you got me." Then I woke up.

I don't know what any of this means, but I will say the whole episode somehow reinforced my belief that it would be really cool to hang out with John C. Reilly.

No comments: