Wednesday, April 10, 2013

This Week in DVD and Instant Watching

I forgot to mention a cool-looking new set from Timeless last week: Tombstone Territory, which combines the Old West and newspapers. I've never seen the show, but it is the kind of show I want to mention, so...consider it mentioned.

Also, a new streaming title I missed is The Americano. This is notable if only because it features Salma Hayek, who is the kind of actress I want to...watch act. What? Get your minds out of the gutter, people.

Let me now get on to the business of forgetting notable DVDs that come out this week:

Hyde Park on Hudson: Bill Murray as FDR in some kind of sex romp...but a sophisticated sex romp. How bad could this be? I know Tony Kornheiser hated it. I didn't get a chance to ask anybody else.

Stolen:  Hey, if this is true, it's interesting because this Nic Cage action flick already debuted on Instant Watching. So that makes this a real coup, I guess...unless I'm screwing the order up somehow. Wait, let me get it straight.

Here's the history of movies:
Ben Franklin (who invented everything)
D.W. Griffith
DVD
Netflix
"Stolen" on Instant Watching
"Stolen" on DVD

Yep, I think I have it straight.

Sexcula: This sounds like one of those lame straight to video movies that shows up on pay cable with someone named Misty Mundae, but, no, this is from the early 1970s. I love the bluntness of the title, which makes Blacula sound like brilliant wordplay by comparison. "Uh...we got Dracula, we got sex. What should we call it?" They weren't trying very hard back then, either.

Boss Season 2: I really enjoyed season 1 and totally missed season 1 because, well, apparently when you don't subscribe to Starz anymore, you don't get to watch their shows anymore. Sounds like a scam. It makes me want to stay away from these so-called "DVDs" they're now pushing.

Family Ties Season 6: Finally the Brian Bonsall years continue! This season gives us Courteney Cox as Alex's girlfriend Lauren, and there are Very Special episodes galore. But one description stood out when I went to Wikipedia to see what this season was all about. Check out the plot summary for episode 24, "Spring Reminds Me":

The mother of Mallory's childhood best friend has difficulty coping with her daughter's suicide. Meanwhile, Steven unearths his old kit of magic tricks, and starts driving the family crazy with them.

What an episode, huh? I picture FDR, just after Pearl Harbor, telling the nation it was a day that would live in infamy...but, hey, check out the new linen set Eleanor ordered for the White House!  Of course, I picture Bill Murray as FDR saying it, which makes it both more inappropriate and more tolerable

Howdy Kids: Shout follows up its box set of early television kiddie shows with a set of early television Western kiddie shows. Personally I would prefer another set of general kiddie shows, but I appreciate the effort.

And in streaming...

Lay the Favorite: Bruce Willis, Rebecca Hall, Catherine Zeta-Jones in a Stephen Frears movie that...just...came out on...DVD--hey, did I write about this a few weeks ago? Am I gonna have to go through the History of Movies again?

Passion of the Christ: It's back! Just in time to miss Easter, Netflix gives us another option for those Friday nights when you want to relax with a pizza, a cold drink or two, and a fun Movie Night.


No comments: