Wednesday, September 8, 2010

This Week in DVD

Killers: Ashton Kutcher and Katherine Heigl get to play with guns and make kissy-faces. It sounds like "Mr. and Mrs. Smith," only without the star power, the behind-the-scenes pedigree, and the popular audience reaction (and I didn't even LIKE "Mr. and Mrs. Smith").

MacGruber: Movies like this really make me rail against the 30-day rental window imposed by some studios on rental services like Netflix and Redbox. That is, it should be much, much longer.

Solitary Man: Michael Douglas got great reviews for this under-the-radar dramedy, but seeing it on the list only brings two thoughts to mind: 1) Michael Douglas has throat cancer? Jeez. 2) Not to be flip about the previous thought, but on an unrelated note, Chris Isaak's version of "Solitary Man" is one of the great underrated rock and roll cover songs.

That Evening Sun: Hal Holbrook plays...eh, I don't know, an old guy who tugs at your heartstrings, I guess. That's what he does now, and he does it damn well.

Jackie Chan: Kung Fu Master: Jackie Chan teaches a teenager how to fight. Wait, wasn't that what happened a few months ago in "Karate Kid"?

THX-1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut. I don't care WHAT happens in this version; as far as I'm concerned, Robert Duvall still shoots first.

Dallas Cowboys Heroes: Talk about an oxymoron.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Road Rally: If you get it on DVD, it's just a DVD, but if you see it on TV, it's a "Disney Channel Family Event" or something like that. We caught a sneak peek on demand, and my daughter enjoyed it, while we enjoyed 44 minutes or so of free babysitting.

Smallville Season 9, Criminal Minds Season 5: From the "Those shows are still on?" Department.

The Office Season 6: I'm not into this show, but I heard this was a subpar season. So why am I bringing it up? Hmm, maybe it's a petty way for me to remind everyone I'm not into the show. I'd like to think I'm bigger than that, though.

The Guardian Season 2: Did you know Dabney Coleman was Simon Baker's dad in this series? I had no idea. Kinda makes me wish I had paid attention when it was on.

Less than Perfect Season 1: Is Sara Rue's Jenny Craig campaign the publicity boost this series needed for a DVD release? Well, if so, it's odd, but it beats Andy Dick urinating on someone in a department store.

Norm Show: I don't remember this short-lived sitcom impressing me a decade or so ago on ABC, but after reading about in a book last week, I'd like to check it out. Come on, Netflix, get cracking. It's not like you don't know about this show, considering you mention it in your "Norm MacDonald" page. Hey, now it's on DVD! You rent DVDs! Remember?

TCM Greatest Classic Films (Various sets): I hereby propose Warner Brothers change the banner of this line so as not to excite hopeful movie fans looking for new-to-DVD titles. Something like "Repackages of Classic Movies Under the TCM Name for a Second or Third Go-round on the Medium of DVD" would suffice.

No comments: