Friday, September 24, 2010

This Week in DVD

It's another slow week for recent theatrical releases. I know studios are saving some big stuff for the holiday shopping season, but looking at the releases each week is making me wonder if any movies actually came out earlier this year.

Robin Hood:
I always liked the legendary character, but when this Ridley Scott/Russell Crowe reimagining came out, all I heard was how UNLIKE classic Robin Hood it was, with none of the usual scenes we'd expect. So, you know, no pulling the sword out of the stone, no carving out the letter "Z," no landing on Earth after being rocketed into space as an infant...What's the point, then?

Stomp the Yard 2: The Homecoming: Uh-oh. That :The Homecoming worries me. The fact that they didn't just call it "Stomp the Yard 2" indicates someone thinks this is...a franchise.

The Experiment: Adrien Brody and Forest Whitaker slumming it--er, starring in a movie about what an experimental placement of subjects in prison conditions goes horribly wrong. Least surprising MPAA rating detail of the week: This movie includes a rape scene.

Tom and Jerry's Greatest Chases Volume 5: I have a feeling it's gonna be a while before we get a comprehensive Tom and Jerry collection with uncut, undubbed cartoons. After all, Warners has this prestigious "Greatest Chases" series to continue...

Desperate Housewives Season 6: Remember last week when I mentioned all the TV-on-DVD releases tying into season premieres? Well, it's much the same this week, only with shows that I actually watch! Uh, wait, I don't want to admit I watch this one. Let's move on.

How I Met Your Mother Season 5: Not the series' high point, really, but, hey, season 5 has its moments.

Community Season 1: The biggest surprise and best new network show of last season hits DVD with tons of extras. In an era when companies are skimming on the bonuses, I salute the makers of "Community" for loading up this box set. And thanks to a pal o' mine, I own the set and get to enjoy it all! MWAH HA HA HA HA HA!

(Of course, you're welcome to buy the set yourself and enjoy it, too. I'm not sure why I gave you that big evil laugh.)

Human Target Season 1: This underappreciated adventure series delivered more often that not in its debut season, and I hope the tweaks the show made for season 2 increase the audience while not screwing things up. Folks, you need to do your part by watching it, and here's your chance to catch up.

Numerous other TV shows which I do not watch: We'd be here all day if I listed them all, and I'm too happy about the "Community" set to make snide comments about the ones I dislike.

No comments: