Saturday, September 21, 2013

This Week in DVD and Instant Watching

So many of you viewed last week's "This Week" post (was it the "Star Trek" reference?), the least I can do is get another one out on time. if there's one thing I promise to deliver to my readers, it's that I'll always strive to do the least I can do. This is a short one, though, while I wade through the new Fall TV shows and some things in that mystical realm known as "real life."

World War Z: While my first reaction to this is, "Great, zombies--we haven't seen THAT lately," part of me, for some odd reason, is just grateful that it's not yet another Tom Cruise movie.

The Bling Ring: If you can get past the ridiculous title...you're a better person than I am, because I can't. I don't really want to see a movie about "fame-obsessed teenagers," even if it's directed by Orson Welles.

Disconnect: I have no idea what this is about, but I'm inclined to find out if it stars Jason Bateman and Hope Davis.

Behind the Candelabra: With this original movie about Liberace, starring Michael Douglas and Matt Damon, HBO generated significant headlines and buzz...for about a week. Catch it on DVD now, or wait for a free preview weekend.

Nashville Season 1: I saw the first 10 episodes or so of this, and then I got busier and just fell off the tracks with this one.

WWE SummerSlam 2013: Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena, CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar...Me versus my readers who could not care less about professional wrestling. The readers win the last battle, and I won't spoil the other two.

In Instant Watching:

Hey, think I should finally sample Inspector Morse? Multiple seasons are now streaming. Speaking of British shows, Hulu Plus made a big deal out of its new content deal with BBC--it even sent me an e-mail about it, which you know means it's important--and when I checked out the new titles, I saw Doctor Who, Torchwood, Primeval, Robin Hood...in other words, mostly the same stuff we've already seen and which has already been streaming elsewhere. In fact, at least SOME of it is STILL streaming elsewhere, like on Netflix. This deal could be worthwhile if more interesting titles are added, but for now, I'm more excited about all the new Fall TV adds (even though most of them look terrible) than I am about this.

Getting back to Netflix, new this past week are Nine, the failed musical which would be a bigger add if this were 3 years ago, and I Don't Know How She Does It, the failed Sarah Jessica Parker vehicle which would be a bigger add if it didn't suck.

I'm intrigued by Netflix exclusive (but not original production) Derek, a Ricky Gervais joint that seems to be pretty low under the radar, and Along Came Polly, the 2004 Ben Stiller/Jennifer Aniston comedy. Oh, it's not a particularly good film, but it's nice to know I can have instant access to the scene in which Phillip Seymour Hoffman's character explains "sharting."

No comments: