Thursday, December 29, 2016

Cultureshark Remembers: Year-End Edition (Part III)

Continuing our look at the notable deaths in 2016 with a recommendation/video for each one:

JULY

Michael Cimino: The Deer Hunter I never saw Heaven's Gate, so don't expect me to offer a revisionist defense of it.

Noel Neill: Instead of picking a single episode of Adventures of Superman, how about the movie serials? Easy to find, and unlike the series, she didn't share the role with Phyllis Coates.

Garry Marshall: I'm a big fan of Marshall's later-years renaissance as a character actor and raconteur, and I thought his role in Louie was a delight.

Dennis Green:


Gloria DeHaven: Step Lively Not a great movie, but I am a sucker for Room Service, and I enjoyed watching this remake of the play/Marx Brothers movie.

AUGUST

Mr. Fuji:



Gene Wilder: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Still my favorite (and weirdest) Gene Wilder role.

Steven Hill: Mission Impossible, "Operation Rogosh" One of the best of the pre-Peter Graves episodes with Hill as Dan Briggs.

John McLaughlin:



Arthur Hiller:



Not at all his best film, but it gives me an excuse to post this kick-ass theme song.

John Saunders:



Kenny Baker: Star Wars Why try to be cute?

SEPTEMBER

Jon Polito: Homicide: Life on the Streets The first two seasons of Homicide. Unfortunately, he was unceremoniously dumped from the show after this.

Hugh O'Brian:



Agnes Nixon:



Arnold Palmer:



Bill Nunn: Spider-Man One of my favorite supporting characters in comic books was Joe "Robbie" Robertson, and the Sam Raimi movies featured Nunn doing him justice.

No comments: