Saturday, October 7, 2017

Streaming Video Power Rankings #81

1) YouTube: Will be the "presenting sponsor" of the World Series, and it's really starting to try to get people to pay attention to its paid service. More importantly to me, it was the place to turn to for great Tom Petty clips after the rock legend died this week.

2) Hulu: The big promotional push is really kicking in now with the Anna Kendrick TV commercials showing all that Hulu has going for it right now.

3) The Roku Channel: A free channel from Roku aggregating content from many different free channels, including some on this very list. Put it together and you get a pretty decent selection of content that is easy to use. It would be nice if Roku made this a full-fledged deal and added watchlists and other features.

4) Pub-D-Hub: Strong update last weekend, including an episode of Susie/Private Secretary with Ann Sothern and shorts from Leon Errol and Gil Lamb.

5) Shout! Factory TV: I continue to enjoy Soul! but why hasn't the Roku channel updated with new October content yet? And it's cool that they are streaming horror 24/7 on the website, but it's too bad they don't have a live stream on the Roku version.

6) Warner Archive Instant: Nothing new, but they did make it easier to find some of the horror movies, and Eight Is Enough continues to be awesome.

7) TubiTV: I was going to start a Space 1999 watch on here until I realized 1) I still have residual anger over it replacing Star Trek on WPIX one summer years ago 2) I still have Star Trek episodes to watch and 3) It's Space 1999. However, I did see Shemp Howard in The Knife of the Party this week.

8) BritBox: It looks like this service is trying hard to deliver, including more and more "almost live" episodes of current BBC shows like Red Dwarf (coming next week). Cold Feet is running here, "lost" Doctor Who premiered...Things are really happening over here.

9) HBO: Curb continues, and this weekend's Spielberg documentary sounds interesting even if I assume it'll be  more or less fawning. I enjoyed several things on Hulu's free HBO preview last weekend, including Starring Adam West and two episodes of the anthology series Room 104.

10) Netflix: I'm not going to drop it out of the tip 10, but I don't care how much it added this week--and it actually wasn't all that much--announcing an imminent price increase with a week or so notice is bad form. And I don't want to hear that it's "only a dollar more" or whatever. Netflix is the industry leader, and its increases make it easier for competitors' price increases. Plus I don't worry about how Netflix spends so much money on stuff I don't really care about...UNTIL it raises prices. Then I kind of worry about it.

No comments: