Saturday, October 28, 2017

Streaming Video Power Rankings #84

A brief reminder since this remains the most popular feature on the blog and I haven't mentioned this in a while: Rankings incorporate a variety of factors, including what I watch, content additions and deletions, and coin tosses. I give extra credit for vintage content, and I judge mostly on the Roku versions.

1) Hulu: The interface still hasn't been fixed, and by that I mean hasn't reverted to what ir was before--the way I liked it, by cracky. My biggest beef now is the difficulty of finding what's new on the Roku channel. The website is still superior.

I have to give Hulu props, though, for partnering with Me-TV to offer free streaming of some of its classic library (H/T to Cord Cutters News for reporting this today). I'm enjoying this season of Gotham. "Huluween" is a nice section for users and an example of when "curation" aids the consumer. Hey, curation is fine, folks, but don't make your whole site dependent on it.

2) Netflix: Would be #1 based on the return of Stranger Things, but I just realized that for the first time in recent memory, I didn't actually watch anything on Netflix this week. Still Stranger Things is huge if the entertainment media complex hype is any indication.

Speaking of the show, is it really as big as it seems to be? It's hard to be sure without reliable numbers, but I have been in several different pop-up Halloween shops this season, and I think the single biggest licensed property in each one (if you consider, say,  Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. distinct properties and not lump them together as "DC Comics") is Stranger Things. Does this mean it's Netflix's biggest show? Well, I don't know--after all, it's a lot harder to merch House of Cards--but anecdotally I think maybe it is. Or at least it's the one most people think is.

Netflix also added an acclaimed Joan Didion documentary, The Hateful Eight, and it premiered an aftershow deal for Stranger Things (and stunned me by not hiring Chris Hardwick to host it). So things are looking good right now. That November lineup looks weak, though.

3) Disney Now: Disney changed its Roku channel to something more episode-centric and less clip-heavy. In other words, it feels more like a useful viewing option and not as much of a promotional tool. Granted, you must authenticate to get the good stuff, but when I told my kids about this, they were all over it. They seemingly forgot that Disney content was on Netflix. I have a feeling when Disney launches its own OTT channel, it is going to make a boatload of money.

4) PIX 11: The Roku app has renamed itself from PIX 11 Archives, yet it finally got off its duff and started uploading some archival material again lately. The highlight this week: A 1978 half-hour retrospective of the Yankees' World Series season, hosted by sports anchor Jerry Girard. Keep it coming, PIX.

Did I mention the end of the Yankees special features a montage of highlights to the sounds of Paul Jabara's disco version of Yankee Doodle Dandy?

5) Pub-D-Hub: Each year, the Hub comes through with a Halloween section loaded up with many of its items of seasonal interest. I recently paid my annual paltry fee, and I am happy to support this consistent and free Roku standout. My screening of the old Batman serial continues with thrills and chills galore.

6) The CW: Supergirl continues its impressive string of featuring at least one embarrassing scene each episode this season. I am glad to watch it for free, though. I wish all networks made it so easy to see their shows without a cable subscription.

7) Shout! Factory TV: Would be much higher, but I think it no-sold my Facebook question asking why the Roku channel hasn't updated in October. I enjoyed another episode of Soul! and a great Starcade installment, but I was crushed by the latter when the winner didn't choose to do the bonus round with the Journey video game.

A highlight of that episode: Before the final round of the game, host Geoff Edwards sets the stage and says something like, "Sean, of course you just have to hope you keep going like you're going. Steve, you have to hope a light falls down and destroys him."

8) Warner Archive Instant: You know content is king in these rankings when WAI earns a spot each week despite not updating its Roku site in months. I did finish season two of Eight Is Enough, though, and to paraphrase Bill Belichik, we're on to season 3. Do you think the coach streams Eight Is Enough in season as background for going over game plans, or does he feel it's too much of a distraction?

9) Brown Sugar: I'd rate this one a lot more often if I knew a way to browse its content without being a member. It sends me emails each week, and while many of what it implies are "new" titles have already been on there, it does appear to be adding things on the regular. Right now I think it has most of the Blaxploitation flicks you would want it to have for Halloween.

9) Nosey: I ventured back into the world of Sally reruns, and though "Mom, You Look Like a Tramp," disappointed me in a sense, I did laugh at the SASSY theme music they played when the moms came back out after their makeover.

(I have a feeling I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and delete this entry from the list.)

10) Amazon Prime: I remember thinking Arrival sounded like an intriguing movie, and the reaction to it didn't diminish my enthusiasm. Yet I confess if I had Prime Video, I'd probably be more wrapped up in checking out the selection of classic game show episodes provided by Buzzr.

No comments: