Sunday, December 24, 2017

Streaming Video Power Rankings #92

'Twas the night before--aw, skip it. Suffice to say this was a hectic week, but the rankings are heavily influenced by Christmas and holiday fare this time out.

1) Netflix: Bad Santa 2 is something I almost forgot existed. It's more of the same, but possibly more depraved, though not as funny as the original. I'd rather see that than that El Camino thing or whatever with Tim Allen.

I don't even have to mention the apparent garbage that is Bright, and I'd rather not bring up the email Netflix sent me explaining that it's raising prices to bring me "more of the content I want." Fuller House is not the content I want. How about bringing back Quincy, Columbo, and Rockford Files for starters?

Let's move on before I lose my holiday spirit and demote Netflix.

2) Boomerang: Watching the holiday stuff on here has pushed some of the, uh, much better stuff out of my rotation. Yet here's the thing: I have that other stuff on DVD and can watch it anytime. It's cool that Boomerang has a selection of things like The Cabbage Patch Kids First Christmas. I decided to stick around after my free trial and get an actual paid month to explore more of the service.

3) Amazon Prime: At the risk of damaging the "integrity" of these rankings, Amazon gave me (and many others) 7 bucks in video credits this week. It's hard not to like them when they do that.

4) YouTube: High this week on the strength of all the great holiday vintage ads and songs I have enjoyed lately, and not so much on the basis of all those "young people eat disgusting food combinations" clips my kids watched the other day.

5) Hulu: My kids are still all about Teen Titans Go, but I was all about Gotham this week. I want to see Alfred kick the snot out of Young Bruce Wayne pretty much every episode when the show returns.

6) Pub-D-Hub: They fooled me by posting their update two days early this week. It was an "update" consisting of recycling Christmas stuff that has been up before, but it was an update, and again, it's nice to have it all in one place.

7) Pluto TV: I admit I am occasionally mesmerized by the channel on here that shows nothing but crisp images of Christmas lights and decorations.

8) Warner Archive Instant: Do better in 2018, WAI. At least you have some great holiday content like It Happened on Fifth Avenue and Holiday Affair.

9) Tubi TV: Shout out to Tubi for offering The Bear Who Slept Through Christmas, the subject of this week's holiday special edition of Battle of the Network Shows.

10) PIX 11 Archives: The Roku channel has really slacked off in recent months, but I give credit for reposting the Magic Garden Christmas reunion special. If this channel put all the stuff on Roku that it does on its Facebook page, it would be my favorite.

No comments: