Friday, June 29, 2018

Inside that comics grab bag part 2

I am breaking down in more detail the comics I got in a 10-issue grab bag at Ollie's Bargain Outlet. Part 1 is here, and the first closer look is here.

Last time out, I was disappointed to read two comics that left me hanging. I don't think the trend will change this time, but we shall see!

What If Inhumans Infnity Something or Other #1: This is a one-shot associated with a big Marvel Universe crossover EVENT of some kind. I would have loved to have scored an issue of the original series of What If?, but that was not to be. This is What If Black Bolt Betrayed Earth? Since it's an offshoot of a big epic, I am sure it would resonate more if I remembered/knew that event.

 

 




The thing I loved about the old What If? was that each scenario more or less culminated in half the characters dying a horrible death. It was a wonderful, morbid series that had all these abominable things happen to well-known characters. This new one is not so shocking or depressing, but it is kind of a bummer.

On one hand, I kind of enjoyed it because I never liked the Inhumans. I liked Black Bolt because he looked cool, but the rest of it annoyed me. Sometimes it was a fun little part of the Marvel U, but other times all their hoity-toity talk about being regal and so superior drove me up my decidedly unroyal walls. The Inhumans acted as if just because Black Bolt had a literal throne his inhuman poop didn't stink.




So it's kind of interesting to see what happens in this Imaginary Story (oops, that's the other company). Yet I just can't get fully invested. This book has that modern Marvel art style that I assume every other of their books has had for the last 15 years. The lettering annoys me. I just can't really get into it. And Uatu is nowhere to be found. It seems like a pointless cash grab rather than the good, old-fashioned gory Faces of  Death that the old What If? was. Thumbs down for this one overall, but as filler for a grab bag, I guess it doesn't offend me.

No comments: