Saturday, June 9, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings #114

1) Netflix: Yes, Netflix is back on top, and it's not because of its originals this week, though I do want to check out The Staircase and its new 3 episodes. Sense8 has a following, but to me it seems like this show that nobody really likes but a lot of people decide to tolerate because it's from the Wachowskis.

The big dog at Netflix, at least in my household, is still The Who Was? Show, and I can't get that theme song out of my mind. I am anxious to see a second season because I am still stunned at how often my kids can rewatch the first batch.

It's fairly slow here otherwise, but I did enjoy The Jungle Book last week, Thor: Ragnarok is here, and I am about to finish up The Toys That Made Us. I'm also trying to set more time aside for the classic shows that Netflix still has, like The Twilight Zone. Head honcho Reed Hastings' casual dismissal of 13 Reasons Why controversy is a little off-putting, but frankly giving a ton of money to Shonda Rhimes and Ryan Murphy is more so.

2) YouTube: Look for a "Behind the Rankings" post next week discussing one of the great things I saw courtesy of  the Museum of Classic Chicago Television YT channel. Here's a sneak peek:


I also have been enjoying one of the best TV programs of all time on YT, but I don't want to say what it is because it's a future BOTNS episode. So for now I just thank the channel that uploaded a September 1985 Expos/Cardinals NBC Game of the Week just for the hell of it.

3) HBO: I'm still loving Silicon Valley, but why doesn't HBO Go have Paterno anymore? That's highly unusual. Does this have something to do with Louis Freeh?

4) Amazon Prime Video: Quietly adding a lot of cult movies from Shout! Factory, such as Starcrash with BOTNS Genius Award Winner Marjoe Gortner. They may be streaming elsewhere, like on Shout's own site, but here they are ad-free.

5) Hulu: My son got a little variety from Netflix by revisiting Teen Titans Go!, which was a fixture in my household in the spring. Personally, I'm getting a little itchy for "new" vintage programming. I will note a Decider article that claimed people were binge-watching the old TGIF sitcoms on Hulu in massive quantities. I credit Hulu for doing well there, but I hope that's not the only kind of show it goes after in the future. Part of me loves the idea of Reginald Vel Johnson somehow becoming "The Face of Hulu," though.

6) MLB TV: It should be much higher based on my viewership this week, but with the Pirates losing so much, I just can't do that. It's almost enough to make me turn to a 1985 Expos/Cardinals game to avoid seeing it.

7) Acorn TV:  It adds Trivia next week, which deserves credit even though IIRC, it's dumping of the charming Irish comedy was one of the things that made me dump Acorn last time I had it. Still hope for a return of Drop the Dead Donkey! Even bigger news: Season 3 of 800 Words is new and tempting me to resub.

8) WWE Network: I started to write that this would be worth it just for the 1980s World Championship Wrestling episodes, but then I remembered that I didn't have the Network for months and only signed up again because of a fantastic bargain. So...yeah, forget I even suggested it. I do enjoy Dusty Rhodes much more now than I ever did then.

9) Nosey: Don't judge me for watching a newly added "troubled teens" episode of Sally on here! No, judge me for taking 5 minutes scrolling through the episodes and trying to remember which ones I had already seen on Nosey. Hey, a watchlist of some kind would be great, Nosey, so I don't have to feel I am wasting my life any more than I already am just by watching this stuff.

For those who care, the episode features a cameo by Joe "Lean on Me" Clark, who is an interesting guest by no Sgt. Julu.

10) Boomerang: This channel got headlines this week for some programming announcements, but it still doesn't "get it." More on this in a short post tomorrow. However, it does get the 10 spot in the rankings because it now boasts every Flintstones episode ever. Well, you should have offered that when you started the channel, but it's good that you finally do.

No comments: