Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Inside that comic book grab bag part 3

So far I've discussed several comics from that $6 grab bag I bought at Ollie's Bargain Outlet, and I haven't found a lot of happiness yet. Let's see if things turn around today as I dip back into it.

Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters #1 (1986): This comic takes me back to the heady days of black-and-white comics being published by anybody who could speak English. Remember the seemingly endless wave of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles parodies? Well, the wave DID end, and I never actually read any of those books...until now.

I got a kick out of this for historical purposes. The issue is as self-referential as it gets, and it IS funny, though it is certainly of its time (see the PLO/hijacking parody). I did laugh at the legal disclaimer on the inside cover, which asks, "Will this statement save us in court if we get sued?"




Sky Wolf (#1 of 3) (Eclipse, March 1988): Kind of a bummer to get a "1 of 3" in a grab bag. Chuck Dixon (script) and Tom Lyle (pencils) bring us this story of international intrigue and adventure set in 1954. It's well done, but...it's only the first part of the story.

I did enjoy the vintage Eclipse house stuff in the issue, like cat yronwoode's editorial asking readers to conduct research about their local comic shops. There are house ads for Scout, The Dreamery, and a Milton Caniff book, plus more.

This springs from the pages of Airboy, which I never read, so...I can't add much except to say I wouldn't have minded seeing the rest of this mini.





Medic #1 (Double Take, 2015): Part of an ambitious launch of a line of comics inspired by some kind of universe based on Night of the Living Dead, this one didn't make me yearn for any more. I found the art unappealing except for the striking painted cover, and I am sure the story of the ill-fated Double Take venture from ex-Marvel publisher Bill Jemas is more interesting than the product itself.




Kirby: Genesis! Silver Star #2 (Dynamite, 2011): It's competently done, but it's a second issue of a spinoff of a 1980s Jack Kirby effort I knew nothing about. I was a little lost here, but I imagine it's a good read in collected form.


Add caption


Don't worry, I am saving the best for last. The gab bag hasn't won me over yet, but I have some solid reading experiences coming up in the next installment!


No comments: