Monday, July 16, 2018

Streaming Showcase: Sling TV and DirectTv Now

I signed up for a month of Sling to watch the World Cup via Fox in the Orange package. Or is it the Blue package? I don't remember which, and the fact there are two packages is part of what makes Sling kind of wacky.

I was going to go with the 7-day free trial and see where it went, but I saw a deal: Free Roku Express when you pay for a full month. Sign me up for a free month! I now have a backup/portable Roku, and to Sling's credit, it shipped that sucker out right away. I received it in less than a week, even with the holiday.

I just parted ways with DirectTV Now after the fantastic intro deal ($10 /month for 3 months) expired. The service had just added a DVR for Roku and was improving, but I didn't want to pay full price. I wanted to try something else. So how do Sling and DirectTV Now compare?

Well, bear in mind things change quickly in streaming. DirectTV Now has already announced a price increase to its base package--35 to 40 a month--and Sling ALSO announced it is raising the price of its Orange--or is it Blue--package. Plus the first day I had Sling, a carriage dispute removed several channels I was looking forward to getting--Univision, UniMas, El Rey.

So these are just my thoughts based on my experiences:

DirectTV Now:

Pros:
Good selection of channels in the base package. TCM is included, which I love.
Generally good video quality
HBO is only $5/month with DirectTV Now. If you are a hardcore HBO fan, this alone might save you $10 a month.
Works well with other apps--though oddly, considering the merger with Warner, the Turner networks like Cartoon and TBS did not accept it a provider for authentication purposes while I had it.

Cons:
No DVR on Roku for 2+ of the 3 months I had it.
DVR was buggy and awkward when it launched
Buffering--big time.
Slow to load and navigate
User interface wasn't always clear

I had PlayStation Vue in the fall, and it had some similar issues, but DirectTV Now was in my head as I transitioned to...

Sling:

Pros:
Much, much easier to use and navigate.
Loads faster--both in general, and switching channels works better
Much less buffering--Not sure if the video quality is better, but it is far more consistent than DirectTV Now.
At least it gives the semblance of "choice." However, that comes at a cost...

Cons:
Nickel and diming on everything. DVR costs $5 extra, and it should be standard.
Inane division of channels into Blue and Orange packages--I have Fox and Fox Sports but not ESPN nor any of the Disney channels. To get those, I would have to pay 50 bucks a month (once the increase takes effect) and get BOTH Blue and Orange. You can get stuff like TCM as part of add-on packages.
Losing several Univision channels right as I signed up and getting nothing in return leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Stingier with app support. I think many less networks accept Sling as a provider for authentication.

Let's be clear about one thing: Even as these skinny bundle packages start to boost their prices and become more like cable, we are still in a great time. Month-to-month deals mean we aren't tied down to these providers and can take off if we don't like something. It's a hassle to have to switch to get one certain channel, but it's good to have the freedom.

Right now, the thing that jumps out at me is how much faster and easier to use Sling TV is than DirectTV Now. I realize many will not agree, but after several months of DTVN, Sling felt smooth and enjoyable. Give me a DVR feature and a few more channels, and I could see myself sticking with Sling for more than a month. As it is, the weak channel assortment and the lack of extras like DVR and app support mean I will likely walk after this month. I may well return soon, though.

As for DTVN, it is clearly positioning itself well as its parent company moves away from satellite. However, the DVR is clearly not ready for prime time. The entire service feels like it needs a makeover and a technical upgrade or two. As far as overall channel assortment, though, it's my favorite so far, and the great deal on HBO will make it a winner if/when it gets its act together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sling TV qna answered here.