Saturday, July 7, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings #118

We know streaming video and cordcutting is "a thing" now because everyone is raising rates. PlayStation Vue, Fubo, Sling, DirectTV Now...all raising rates. Netflix is testing a rate increase in Europe. I bet Disney has already raised the price of its OTT service 2 or 3 times...and it doesn't even exist yet.

1) Starz: I enjoyed a free trial of Starz this week, and when you combine all the Starz channels and the stuff they license, you get decent value and commercial-free viewing. I spent my free week watching stuff like Wagon Train, of course, instead of the original programming like Counterpart (which I really do want to see). I mean, a week isn't enough to really dig into those originals, right?



Does anyone know if Starz has done some kind of fake-HD thing to some of the older shows it has acquired? In particular, I thought Sanford and Son looked odd on Starz.

Thanks for the preview, Starz. I'll be back someday and will pay for at least a month or so. I was tempted to do so now so I could see Karen Gillan in those shorts--uh, Jumanji--but I need to check out other stuff this month.

2) Hulu: Because this week I actually started watching some of the shows Hulu is accumulating. Daria is as funny as I remember. Oh, and I rediscovered Regular Show.  I'm excited that 2018's Borg vs. McEnroe is already available (starting tomorrow).

Word of warning, Hulu: Don't think about raising prices. Just because you lose $500 billion a month is no reason to start thinking about spending less on content or raising prices.

3) Prime Video: An impressive slate of catalog movies debuted July 1, and the original Jaws series comes Monday. TWO versions of Stripes? It's also adding a lot of series I don't watch--Bones, Damages, Burn Notice, The Closer--but I'm sure others enjoy. Hey, if you like NYPD Blue, it's here now, too--and without commericals, unlike Hulu. One quibble: It just put up a bunch of official World Cup videos after the 2018 tournament is half over. It's not quite as bad as adding Christmas movies in the summer, but what's up with that?

4) Netflix: I predict this retakes the top spot next week now that my Starz trial is over. I never thought I would enjoy a reality cooking competition show, but I enjoy watching Nailed It with my kids and have to give Netflix big ups for it.

I'm not so interested in most of the originals this weekend, but a new season of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is cool. His guests include...Jerry Lewis? That's a hell of a get. You know who would be great on this? Andy Kaufman. Jerry Seinfeld should get Andy Kaufman next season.

5) PIX 11: It added some really cool stuff to commemorate the holiday: Bicentennial coverage of Operation Sail in New York City plus coverage of the 1986 Statue of Liberty reopening. These are the kinds of specials you would never run on commercial TV today but are great curios for streaming on demand.

6) Sling TV: It's making my World Cup viewing possible this week. More on Sling TV, which I just got for the first time, is coming soon.

7) WWE Network: I'm stunned that WWE uploaded hours of raw unaired footage from a 20+-year-old event as a "Hidden Gem," but I am also impressed. Plus watching Saturday's Night Main Event on July 4 made me feel like a Real American, brother.



8) YouTube: I was too busy (and by busy I mean busy watching Wagon Train, not busy doing actual life activities) to check out the recent batch of old commercial uploads by my man SeanMC, but I plan to catch up this weekend.

9) Filmstruck: John Wayne is the star of the week, and there's a fun new collection called Eighties Fantasies with movies like Time Bandits and Clash of the Titans. I also want to commend Filmstruck for using its Twitter account to warn people of notable films that are expiring.

10) Shout! Factory TV: I'm not thrilled with the monthly content drop--mostly horror movies--but much respect to Shout! for getting it out and ready on Roku on July 1.

No comments: