Saturday, September 1, 2007

This Week (and Last Week) in DVD

The last few weeks have been such dull ones for new DVD releases that I didn't even want to write about them. The one notable exception is the DVD of the week (OK, the last two weeks), which I'll talk about later. Other than that, it's an uninspiring batch.

However, when I saw the cover of the Bruce Willis-Halle Berry thriller "Perfect Stranger," something hit me: the theme song from 1980s sitcom "Perfect Strangers." I don't remember even liking that show, but I saw my share of episodes, and that song popped in my brain right as I was wondering if this was an erotic thriller or just a creepy thriller with one gratuitous shot of Halle Berry in her unmentionables.

The juxtaposition was disturbing, as I imagined Bronson Pinchot getting it on with Halle Berry. Before I could say "Don't be ridiculous," in a wacky accent, the situation was there. I couldn't look at this movie the same way again. Or at all, really.

As disconcerting as that scenario was, it made me think perhaps other recent DVDs would be made more interesting, if not better, by inserting Balki and Cousin Larry in them. Let's find out if that's the case as we look at some notable DVDs of the last two weeks:

The Ex: Why is Zach Braff in every third movie that comes out now? We get it: Zach Braff is young, a bit on the slacker-ish side, and is faced with decisions about his future. YAWN! Shouldn't these kinds of roles have gone to a young Mark Linn-Baker 25 years ago? He could have ruled the 1980s, and maybe his "eclectic" soundtrack selections would have made some band like The JoBoxers huge.

Blades of Glory: This Will Ferrell-Jon Heder ice skating farce didn't do it for me. But what if Bronson Pinchot and Mark Linn-Baker in their primes lent their talents to this promising concept? Comedy Gold, Silver, and Bronze.

Friday Night Lights Season 1 and Heroes Season 1: OK, these are DVDs worthy of attention--about the only two shows worth watching on NBC last year. But I can't get too excited about them. I just saw every episode, for cry-yi-yi, and I don't need to own them yet. But if Balki showed up as a superpowered Meiposian on an episode of Heroes and provided a commentary, well, that's another story. And shouldn't there be an episode of FNL in which Cousin Larry shows up as a rival coach? Yes, there should.

Desperate Housewives Season 3 Dirty Laundry Edition: Yes, "Dirty Laundry Edition" is a (don't be) ridiculous title, but it will sell better than "Better than that weird second season, but we're never gonna reach that peak of the first season Edition." Hey, who better play that rumored gay couple on Wisteria Lane this season than everybody's favorite Perfect Strangers?

Georgia Rule: I can't help but think Lindsay Lohan's life would be a lot smoother right now if she had only had the calming presence of a Bronson Pinchot on set when she made this movie.

Delta Farce: Hey, Larry the Cable Guy, can't you find room in your silly movie for Cousin Larry or Balki? Give something BACK, dude!

Turns out that this weak crop of DVDs IS more interesting with the Perfect Strangers connection. Go figure. Oh, by the way, "Perfect Strangers" is not on DVD.

No comments: