Thursday, September 6, 2007

Happy Birthday, Charlie

Allow me a moment to say a big Happy Birthday to the bestest pal a guy could have, our cat Charlie, who turns 4 today. At least, that's the date my wife and I determined was his birthday, and dadgum it, we're sticking to it.

For many years, I thought I wasn't " a cat person," but then some positive catsitting experiences, and later my roommate's cool cats, turned me around. When we adopted Charlie, it was official. I was a cat person, or at least I was all in favor of MY cat.

Growing up, though we were exclusively a dog family, I always rooted for cats in one sector of life that really matters: cartoons. Top Cat was and is one of my all-time favorite characters. Tom against Jerry was a no-brainer. I always wanted Sylvester to get his hands on that faux-innocent Tweety. So I had no inherent dislike for the feline persuasion. It just took me a while to realize they could be as likable in real life as they were on TV.

Charlie doesn't always act like a cartoon cat--perhaps a good thing--but he plays fetch with me, hangs out with me, and is a loyal friend--well, as loyal as a cat can be. All you cat haters who claim cats don't like humans, well, I'm sorry you haven't had a good experience, but don't be hatin' on my buddy.

Happy fourth, Charlie, and I hope you enjoyed the salmon.

No comments: