Friday, October 19, 2007

Say What? (Part 2)

My on-screen programming guide offers this description for the brand-new Fox Business Channel, one no doubt provided by Fox itself:

"AROUND-THE-CLOCK BUSINESS INFORMATION WITH A BUSINESS-FRIENDLY APPROACH TO THE NEWS THAT FOCUSES MORE ON FINANCIAL PROJECTS THAN SCANDALS."

Given Fox's record of attempting to distinguish itself by tearing down its competitors, we can assume "UNLIKE THE OTHER GUYS" at the end.

First of all, hats off to Rupert Murdoch for once again having the guts to speak out for the big guy. Finally, the media tells the business side of things! Because we never get THAT perspective in the news.

Secondly, I could be wrong here--I'm not a business guy--but isn't that bit about the scandal coverage a little silly? I just can't picture masses of Wall Streeters turning on CNBC or Bloomsburg before they commute in from the suburbs and saying, "Gosh, I'd love to get some financial news on TV, but these guys just won't shut up about Enron!"

I guess that's just Fox's way of saying, "Don't worry, boys, we aren't gonna bring up that nasty ol' stuff. You can count on us."

No comments: