Tuesday, October 30, 2007

True Confessions: 10/30/07

Welcome to Cultureshark True Confessions, an occasional series in which I spill my guts and reveal some behavior or preference of which I am not particularly proud.

True believers, there must have been something in the air today. Perhaps the onset of All Hallow's Eve is warping my soul. You see, my dark side emerged this afternoon, and while I'm not proud of my actions, I feel I must confess them.

I went to the express checkout to take a book from the local library, and the computer informed me I had a 25-cent fine outstanding. I briefly fingered the shiny new quarter (Louisiana, if you're wondering) in my left pocket and prepared myself to part with it...

BUT NO! The computer was still going to let me check out my book, so why bother? I released the quarter, took the book, and hightailed it out of there without paying my fine.

Yep, it was a rebellious moment, and yes, you could have called me B.A.--and I don't mean Benevolent Altruist. I fled without settling my accounts with the library and took another book to boot. But I beg you, don't judge me. It was a temporary lapse, a mere indiscretion. Halloween does strange things to a man, I tell you...

No comments: