Wednesday, October 31, 2007

What Does and What Does Not Scare Me

A possible writer's strike does not scare me. Actually, I have more than enough stuff on DVD to last me quite a while. I guess I'd miss the new episodes of some of the network TV shows I watch, but you know what? I'm not so into anything currently running that I couldn't wait for it to resume. I say, go ahead, strike, get it all settled, and I'll catch up on my backlog of stuff to watch. Or, you know, read.

What DOES scare me, though, on this Halloween is the thought of my Verizon FIOS DVR taking the last step and just nuking all of my stored movies and shows. When I first bought the FIOS package a few months ago, it was great, a real step up over my previous cable provider. Then Verizon decided to fix what wasn't broken and rolled out a new interactive programming guide and screwed up everybody's set-top boxes. I've been seeing more and more bugs, and in the last two weeks, my DVR has been indiscriminately deleting programs, thinking the hard drive was full when it really wasn't. I was told by tech support a fix is on the way in the next week or two. I sure hope so.

In the meantime, I live every day with the awesome fear of losing umpteen movies and various old TV shows. It's a fear that's all too real because I lost tons of stuff when my COX cable DVR went haywire on me. You got to love this convenient, life-altering technology, don't you? Who cares about the strike? I'm worried about losing those Broderick Crawford movies I recorded off Turner Classic before I get a chance to see them all.

No comments: