Monday, June 29, 2009

ESPN loves the stars

I was watching a bit of Wimbledon coverage while dining with my wife last week, and, boy, did I feel sorry for whoever was playing with Maria Sharapova. This was the superstar's first round match, not the second round one in which she was upset, so her opponent didn't even get the satisfaction of winning.

See, ESPN's coverage was all-Sharapova all the time. Well, at least all the time that I was watching, and I confess I had to keep my eyes moving across the various big screens in the restaurant so as not to be accused of ogling by Mrs. Shark. Not once did I see who she was playing, except as a tiny figure at the top of the screen. I understand giving the popular Sharapova plenty of camera time and closeups in between points, during her service, et cetera, but even when she was returning serve, the ESPN cameras were fixed on the tall blonde.

I still don't know anything about the other competitor, let alone what she looked like. I doubt that her appearance would turn viewers to stone, but even if it would, she's in a grand slam event and deserves some screen time. I know it's money to follow the stars, but, jeez, ESPN, can't you show the other player every now and then?

No comments: