Saturday, February 20, 2010

This Week in DVD

Small Wonder Season 1: There are TV shows we really want to see come to DVD, and there are shows we think we want to see on DVD. I think people today are more in love with the idea of "Small Wonder" than the artistic output of "Small Wonder," but, hey, it's good that those people can buy it. I have to admit a little part of me is curious to see what the show is like after 20-odd years. I am going to try to force that little part into a confined space I can lock up.

Law Abiding Citizen: Some might say that vigilante/revenge movies like this and, say, "Taken" resonate right now because of the helplessness many feel in the dire economy. I say people like to see stuff get blown up.

Black Dynamite: I'm looking forward to this little-seen but fondly received send-up of blaxploitation. I'm sick of The Man, too, and I don't mean the Eugene Levy-Sam Jackson bomb from a few years ago. Well, I'm a little sick of that one.

Barnaby Jones Season 1: George Utley must be ecstatic, assuming he finally upgraded from VHS.

Cannon Season 2: Volume 2: Clever move by Paramount getting this out this week, knowing the "Small Wonder" fans won't be able to resist Bill Conrad when they see him on the New Release shelf. I only fear for the shelf.

Branded the Complete Series: My dad tells me this is a great show, and I want to believe him, but I don't want to invest in a bunch of hacked-up episodes. Sadly, this Mill Creek collection is apparently just a rehash of the earlier problem-ridden set.

Good Hair: I love Chris Rock's comedy, but I can't say I'm eager to see a documentary about hair. There are probably other things I'd rather see him do, but I'll probably give this one a shot.

No comments: