Thursday, December 2, 2010

I'm not ready for Amy Adams to be gritty

OK, I offer the caveat that I haven't actually seen many Amy Adams movies lately. I still haven't seen "Doubt," for example, and "Sunshine Cleaning" sits on my DVR. But the ones I have seen offer a certain image of the lass. Heck, even the ones I haven't seen do that. I don't think I need to actually watch "Leap Year" to be charmed by Adams' delightful light romantic-comedy persona.

In fact, I think it's much better I don't actually watch "Leap Year." If I stick to watching the ads and the trailers, I can assume it's tolerable, well-made fluff.

An upcoming movie with considerable buzz is David O. Russell's "The Fighter," a biopic of scrappy boxer Irish Micky Ward. The commercial I keep seeing focuses on star Mark Wahlberg and the male supporting cast like Christian Bale, but there is The Girl in this kind of picture, and in this picture, The Girl is played by Amy Adams.

We see her only briefly in the ad, but she is wearing some kind of lingerie in a brief (too brief, I might add) glimpse, and we see enough of the movie and of her to know that this is going to be a gritty affair. Not necessarily a sad movie, mind you, but come on--it's boxing, it's working class, it's Christian Bale...it's not going to be a delightful light romantic comedy. It may be inspirational, as Bale plays a half-brother who gets out of the joint and trains Ward to success, but it will be gritty. It's R-rated, after all.

And I'm not sure I'm ready for Amy Adams to be in a movie that purports to represent "reality." Why, just the other night, we happened upon her twirling around and dancing as a fairy princess in "Enchanted." She's gonna be in a muppet movie next year, for crying out loud.

Hey, I know that Amy Adams is a fine actress and a real person capable of portraying real people. I just don't know if I'm ready to see it right now.

No comments: