Saturday, December 4, 2010

This Week in DVD

As we always say, of all the DVD release summaries on the web, this is one of them. It's still a slow period for interesting releases, but here are the highlights of this week:

Knight and Day: As tempting as it is to make a good snarky remark about how the underperformance of this would-be blockbuster proves people are over Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz, I can't help but think a lot of it has to do with the fact it sounds like a cheesy 80s cop show.

Twilight Saga: Eclipse: Ah, yes, time for another one to come out. That explains why there was so much merchandise in every other store at the mall the other day. No, wait, there's always that much merchandise in every other store at the mall.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice: The standard checklist when considering whether to see a Nic Cage movie goes like this: 1) What kind of hair does he have? 2) Is he over-the-top crazy in it? I know very little about this Jerry Bruckheimer blockbuster (would-be blockbuster?) but since Cage is a sorcerer, we know 1) he'll wear a cool conic hat with crescent moons and stars and 2) yeah, he'll be spouting all kinds of crazy sorcerer dialogue. Right? Hmm, maybe we need a little bit more to go on when considering whether to see a Nic Cage movie.

Space: 1999 Season 1: I don't usually care much about Blu-Ray releases, but I want to remind everyone who doesn't know about how enraged I was as a kid when I turned it to WPIX one night at midnight and saw "Space:1999" instead of "Star Trek." I have never given "Space: 1999" a chance because of that.

Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet Volume 17: I just put this Alpha Video release in here because to me, no matter how good the show, I don't think anything sounds more ridiculous than a "Volume 17" of anything.

Have Gun Will Travel Season 5 Volume 1: I stand corrected.

No comments: