Tuesday, December 21, 2010

This Week in Instant Watching

Wouldn't it figure that the week following the successful (well, I enjoyed it) launch of This Week in Instant Watching, the selection of new additions to Netflix's streaming service slows quite a bit.

Copacabana: As a huge Groucho fan, it's tough for me to say this, but "Copacabana" isn't very good. It's not even the one with Jane Russell. But is it worth watching on "free" streaming if you're in the mood for Groucho and the sight of Carmen Miranda doesn't make you want to renounce your membership and go rent 5 copies of "Inception" from Blockbuster? Sure.

Crack in the World: Another Olive Films recent release comes to IW. This one is about THE END OF THE WORLD, and, let me tell you, if the poster art can be trusted, it's an awesome epic of apocalyptic doom. There's a picture of the Earth being torn asunder, with the tagline, "THANK GOD IT'S ONLY A MOTION PICTURE!" How could this not be worth streaming?

Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work: I will admit that I still find Joan Rivers funny. And I will ALSO admit that I watched a segment or two of some "Fashion Police" show a few weeks ago (My wife had it on, OK?), and I was laughing as she was making her wise-ass remarks about celebrities' dresses. So I look forward to this documentary because, hey, she's still got it, and I still find her more than interesting enough to be a documentary subject.

Homicide for Three: 1948 cheapo from Republic Pictures. Well, I don't know that it's a cheapo, but it is an obscure Republic crime flick. All I know is my rule of thumb: If a movie was made in the 1940s and has the word "Homicide" in its title, then I'll give it a watch.

Hong Kong: There was a lot more to Ronald Reagan than Brass Bancroft, you know, and he presumably proves it in this 1952 adventure. And look at his co-stars: Nigel Bruce and Rhonda Fleming! Hey, there was a lot more to HER than Brass Bancroft, too, if you know what I mean (I don't.)

Lady and the Monster: This is either the 1944 Republic (Hey, them again!) horror film that was later remade as the more famous "Donovan's Brain"...or it's a collection of episodes of a CW reality show produced by Ashton Kutcher. Given Netflix's quirks, I just don't think we can be sure until we actually load this up and see for ourselves.

No comments: