Monday, May 16, 2016

Coming soon to Cultureshark: Summer of Angst!

One of the most underappreciated DVD releases of 2015 is "The Lost Television Legacy of James Dean," a TCM-branded collection with 3 discs' worth of pre-Hollywood years Dean on the small screen. There's an incredible variety of early television in this set, with Dean's presence the one common denominator.

Is this the classic James Dean we all know, love, and exploit as an icon for branding purposes? I don't know, but I plan to dig into this collection and find out. Does Dean show the charisma he would later bring to his (tragically small) Hollywood oeuvre? More importantly, does he bring the angst we associate with that tortured rebel persona?

Join me here on the blog each week until I find the answers, until I get through the set, or until I get tired of the idea and quietly let it drop. Assuming I don't, though, this is shaping up to be an amazing summer of angst as we journey through vintage TV with one of the most famous icons of classic Hollywood as our guide.

No comments: