Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Behind the Rankings: 5 SVODS that are NOT ranked this week and why

1) PBS: This "app" has become lamer and lamer since the introduction of the "Passport" concept designed to get people to pay to stream content. Coincidence? I think not.

2) ESPN: Stop me if you've heard this one before, but then go ahead and let me finish: Since the introduction of the ESPN+ paid service, there is much less worthwhile "free" (meaning available to cable/satellite subscribers) material.

3) Prime Video: I can't in good conscience reward Amazon in a week in which it announced it was increasing Prime membership by a whopping 20%. It doesn't seem like a good idea to talk about a massive price hike at a time when the president is bashing you.

4) CBS All-Access: Other than a handful of original series, what has CBS added since launch? It looks like the "classics" section is identical to what it was when it started.

5) The CW: I really do appreciate the fact that CW makes virtually all of its shows available free (and I do mean free) here, but this week I skipped catching up on Flash and Supergirl, and I am tempted to wait until those current seasons appear on Netflix in a few weeks.

No comments: