Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Classic Shows That Should Be Streaming: Introduction

Starting tomorrow, I will unveil a new series giving each of a host of major streaming video services 5 new TV series. I'm trying to be realistic about this, assigning classic shows where they A) fit and B) might have a realistic chance of landing. So even though I'd love to see Bachelor Father, I don't include it in this series because I just don't see it happening right now.

I take into consideration who owns the streaming rights (as far as I know), what each streamer is currently doing in terms of old-school content, and whether it is already available. Magmum P.I. would make a great addition to several different channels, but it is viewable through Starz right now, so it is ineligible. However, something that was streaming before but is not right now--say, --is eligible and in fact is probably a great candidate for one of these lists.

I'll begin  tomorrow with the big dog of streaming video, Netflix, even though it has all but given up on acquiring old TV series. I have 4 wish list items that I don't think will really appear and one show that has never been streamable and is iconic enough to make me think Netflix might actually bother with and promote.

Later in this series, I'll name selections for Hulu, Prime Video, and others, and I'll even make some picks for services that don't exist yet, naming some series they should carry when they launch. It all starts tomorrow, so tune in then and see if I don't make some iota of sense.

No comments: