Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cultureshark Sports Report

Ah, it's a good day. I barely watch college basketball anymore, but I still bask in the glory of the NCAA championship win by North Carolina last night. Well done, gents. I'm glad to see superstar Tyler Hansborough rewarded (well, he kind of rewarded himself) with a national title after coming back for a fourth year and finishing his college eligibility.

Combine this with last week's NIT win by my alma mater, State Penn--er, Penn State--and I'm feeling pretty good about college basketball.

Would it be inappropriate to bring up the Steelers' Super Bowl win again now? OK, I won't.

There's even good news on the baseball front, and when you're a Pirates fan like I am, oh, how rare the opportunity to utter that phrase. 1-0, baby, after a thrilling 6-4 win over the Cardinals. I'll enjoy this undefeated record as long as it lasts. Uh, they don't play again till tomorrow, right? They do play tonight? Well...2-0, baby! Yeah, it's gonna be 2-0!

Seriously, the ridiculous streak of losing seasons in Pittsburgh will likely continue, but there are some signs the organization knows what it's doing now. Now if the team could only earn some national respect and pub. I watched "MLB Tonight" late last night to get the highlights, but during the Pirates-Cardinals segment, MLB Network reran the opening portion of the show for some reason. Could it be a conspiracy to keep the humble Pirates "in their place" before they explode into contention this year? Stay tuned.

Oh, and I think I come off as a bit of a jerk when I talk about Philadelphia sports teams, so in the same spirit of goodwill that restrains me from mentioning the Steelers' championship again, I will not bring up the Phillies' loss in the national opener Sunday night.

No comments: