Thursday, April 30, 2009

This Week in DVD

The Hit: Criterion + Talented Cast and Behind-the-Lens Personnel + Crime Theme = Pretentious, overpraised art pic. Wait, no, what am I saying? I mean that all that equals a sure-fire quality DVD package. Jeez, I don't know what got me there.

Johnny Got His Gun: Maybe THIS got me. I have wanted to see this anti-war movie ever since Metallica used clips for its epic "One" video. I'll bet many others have, too, but this has been all but out of circulation for years, and all we ever hear about it is, yeah, it's the one from the Metallica video, it's kind of spooky, and Dalton Trumbo wrote it. Now we get to see it and freak out together. I mean all of us. Any volunteers to host? I'll bring the sesame sticks.

Bride Wars: Anne Hathaway might have made many forget about her acclaimed performance in "Rachel Got Married" had anyone seen this goofy wedding-angst comedy. And Kate Hudson might have...She might have...Uh, what was that good movie she was in a while back? Where she was, like, a groupie or something? And that kid was palling around with Billy Crudup while all those songs played?

JCVD: This is a piece of film history, folks: Since I am getting this from Netflix, this is, yes, the first Jean Claude Van Damme movie I have ever paid money to see! I am looking forward to this piece of meta VanDammery, too.

Frost/Nixon: Complete Interviews: Uh, it's cool that the complete interviews are out now, but I kind of feel like a tool for bothering to rent the Watergate segments when they came out a few weeks ago. I want to see it all! I'm hoping David Frost asked the former prez about the single most disgraceful act he ever performed in office--declaring Texas the national champion for 1969 when Penn State was 11-0.

Nothing but the Truth: Rod Lurie's tale, loosely inspired by the Judith Miller/Valerie Plame saga, proves that audiences won't turn out to see adult political thrillers...when the studios refuse to release them in theaters.

No comments: