Wednesday, April 15, 2009

This Week in DVD: Special Edition devoted to "The Spirit"

It's a slooooow DVD day today, so with apologies to "The Reader" and to you "Knots Landing" fans out there, I'm going to focus on "The Spirit," or "Will Eisner's The Spirit," or "Frank Miller's Will Eisner's The Spirit," or "The Spirit of '76," whatever it is.

I don't buy the comic anymore, but Eisner's Denny Colt, AKA Spirit, is one of my all-time favorite comic book characters, and I love the reprints of the classic version as well as Darwyn Cooke's revival and the recent incarnation written by Sergio Aragones and Mark Evanier. Yet I stayed away from this movie. Sure, that's partly because I was busy over the holidays and because I'm a dad now and never go to the movies, but, hey, it was also because it stunk.

Well, at least that's what "they" said, but I'm not one of those conformist sheep who blindly follows 95% of critics, the vast majority of comic book fans in general/Spirit fans in particular, and an overwhelming number of moviegoers. So I'll give this one a chance on DVD.

Still, I can't help but wonder what the special features are on this "2-disc special edition." First of all, I know the second disc is a mere digital copy, and may I say right here that this BS of slapping a digital copy into a package and calling it a "2-disc set" MUST END.

Here are some of the bonus features I'd like to see on the DVD:

*A copy of "Sin City." Hey, this was supposed to be a sequel to that, right? No? Could have fooled me.
*Bonus footage of Frank Miller stomping on Will Eisner's grave.
*Roundtable discussion of all the fans who admitted to liking the movie.
*Featurette: "The Women of 'The Spirit': It's Better to Look Good than to Act Good."

Unfortunately, I don't see any of these listed in the specs, but I'll let you know if I find them if and when I rent it.

No comments: