Monday, April 27, 2009

Notes from a Borders

Every now and then, I like to visit the local bookstore to see what's new and what's shaking. Since I don't really have a local bookstore, I usually just head to the nearest Borders.

*There are still plenty of books about Lincoln and Obama all over the place. If you like the history section, you'd better like Lincoln. If you like just walking into the store and looking at the new and notable releases, you'd better like Lincoln. And the current prez is still soaking up the retail space, with his mug adorning books, commemorative inauguration mags and papers, and so on. There are dozens of other presidents, too, you know. I saw a softcover edition of a recent Polk bio. How about some more love for James K. Polk?

*I'm not as big a follower of tennis as I used to be, nor am I much of a player (I get out on the courts, oh, about never). Yet I'm intrigued by two new releases and glad to see tennis get some prime shelf placement right in the front of the store.

It took me a long time to warm up to Monica Seles, and though she's using her eating disorder as the hook for her memoirs, I'd like to read about her overall career. But though I get that a "grip" is a vital part of any tennis pro's game, couldn't someone have offered her a less-mockable title than "Getting a Grip: On My Body, My Mind, My Self"? Or is my inner Beavis going overboard here?

*The other interesting tennis book just released is "A Terrible Splendor: Three Extraordinary Men, A World Poised for War, and the Greatest Tennis Match Ever Played." Now, there is a lot of hyperbole in that title, yes, but the match in question is a Davis Cup tussle between legendary Don Budge and...uh, a German player. All I know about him is that he was in trouble with the Nazis, and he was apparently Extraordinary. When the Nazis are involved against the Americans, I think we can all agree the word Greatest is in play. It looks like a fascinating story about a sporting event that is seldom discussed today. If author Marshall Jon Fisher can deliver on the implication of his title and tie the world atmosphere into the tennis, it ought to be a great read.

*Speaking of dominating the shelves: "Twilight." Still. I guess it's good for business, but I can't remember the last time I entered a Borders without nearly stumbling into one of those books (or related products).

*This location, at least is having a big 50% CD and DVD sale, but it looks to be older stuff that is already priced to high. I wonder if they're phasing out those products. I don't like buying music there, but I enjoy listening to it every now and then.

*A look at the sports section reveals a pleasant surprise--the DK WWE Encyclopedia is an impressive-looking book, loaded with pics and info in an attractive package. I won't pay 50 bucks for it, but if it hits the bargain tables, yeah, I'd snap that up. I leafed through it at random, with my only deliberate move a turn to the entry on notorious murderer Chris Benoit. His presence is a shock given the WWE's attempt to erase him from its history.

*I'm disappointed, however, at the lack of new baseball books. This is the time of year, Borders. Step it up! I notice what appears to be a new Yogi Berra book on the bottom shelf. Unfortunately for this poor author, several shelves above, in a prime display spot closer to eye level, is Allan Barra's well-publicized and pushed (at least in the sports world) Yogi bio. This kind of thing happens, of course, in many media, but how would you like to work your tail off on a definitive book about someone only to be overshadowed by a similar effort at about the same time?

*I'm again disappointed by the ongoing shrinkage of the Movie/TV section. People are still making books about these subjects. I love visiting this section in any bookstore, but it seems many places don't want to give it much space. I don't know if this particular Borders is deliberate in this effort or if it's just part of what appears to be an overall reduction in the total book inventory.

*Someone hands out free samples of a delicious strawberry-flavored drink, and I'm tempted, but it just seems the wrong time of day to spend 4 bucks on a drink that'll I down in about 30 seconds. But I like the freebie! It would be funny if employees walked around with a tray of books and offered to read you a sample of some new novel or something.

No comments: