Tuesday, April 7, 2009

TV NEEDS Rescue Me to be great again this year

And by "TV," I mean me. _I_ need "Rescue Me" to be great again this year. Yeah, that's a lame bait and switch, but I thought "I NEED Rescue Me to be great again this year" was a bit too self-absorbed even for a blog.

Tonight Denis Leary's often-raucous blend of juvenile sex humor and haunting post 9/11 angst returns for an unprecedented 22 consecutive episodes. I have an early indication that the long season will not break new ground, nor will it experiment with new storytelling given the expanded run. That's OK. I don't need groundbreaking. I just need that great comedy-drama, the standout experience that I got its first couple seasons, when the awesome stuff outweighed the misfires and I couldn't wait to see each week's installment.

There just aren't a lot of hourlong TV shows that I hang on anymore. I think "Breaking Bad" is really good, but I don't know that I'm addicted. "24" is having a great season, but I missed an episode a few weeks back and didn't lose any sleep. "Lost" continues to mix compelling television with self-indulgent rigmarole, and unfortunately, it burned my connection to the show a few seasons back and now gets my eyeballs out of habit and the fact I watch it with my wife.

"Desperate Housewives" is a fun Sunday night pleasure for Mrs. Shark and I, but it's hardly essential. And I've been DVRing "Chuck" and "Heroes," but let me tell you something: We have all the "Heroes" since this "Volume 2" or whatever of the current season started, and we have all the "Chucks" from the entire season--dating back to the fall--and we haven't gotten around to them yet. That tells you something.

So I need a show I can not just enjoy, but a show I can be excited about, a series I can't miss without being grouchy for a few days. I'm hoping "Rescue Me" is going to be that show this year. I've done my part by playing "C'mon, C'mon," the Von Bondies song adopted as the theme song, about half a dozen times in the last week. Denis Leary, don't let me down!

No comments: