Thursday, March 11, 2010

This Week in DVD

You know what makes this special Post-Oscar installment of "This Week in DVD" so special? Why, the fact that it's after the Oscars!

Up in the Air: True story--I intended to see this in a theater with my wife and then...didn't get around to it. Man, I gotta come up with a better ending to that story. But the way people talk about how great George Clooney is, it's only a matter of time before he starts picking people up at their houses and personally buying their tickets to his films. He's just that nice a guy.

Precious: I have to admit, I just don't want to see this movie despite its acclaim, and, yes, part of it is due to some deep prejudices on my part. I think many others feel the same way, that there's something shown on the screen in this movie that we just don't really want to see. I'm gonna go ahead and mention the elephant in the room here, because let's face it, we all are a little hesitant to actually have to watch Mariah Carey without makeup.

Old Dogs: We caught an episode of "Desperate Housewives" on demand one time and could not fast-forward through the commercials, or I should say commercial, singular, because all we saw was the same stupid spot hyping "Old Dogs." Over and over and over again. To say we got sick of "Old Dogs" that night would be an understatement. I doubt anything is understated in "Old Dogs."

Hachi: A Dog's Tale: I know very little about this direct-to-video story, but I know enough to think I'll start blubbering like Chad Lowe at the Oscars if I sit down and watch it.

Planet 51: Let's just say this one did NOT make the Best Animated Feature roster this year.

Capitalism: A Love Story: Can I say anything one way or the other about a Michael Moore movie without getting into some kind of political imbroglio? Yeah, probably, but since I haven't even seen it, why bother?

Matt Houston Season 1 and Scarecrow and Mrs. King Season 1: As a kid, I always thought Lee Horsley/Matt Houston was the poor man's Tom Selleck/Magnum, and as for "Scarecrow," well, I probably would have laughed if anyone I knew watched it. But I've grown and matured enough to salute those fans of these shows and hope they have a good time with their new DVDs this week.
[snicker]

No comments: