Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My annual rant against the TV Land Awards

TV Land stinks nowadays, blah, blah, blah.

The TV Land Awards are bogus, etc., etc., etc.

If TV Land is gonna give awards to shows like "Love Boat," it ought to actually SHOW some episodes of yada, yada, yada.

OK, I got that out of my system. Now let me contribute a positive comment about the show.

(I just can't get into the mindset to properly dissect the show-closing spectacle of luminaries like David Hasselhoff, Marilu Henner, and Richard Karn--yes, Richard Karn--singing Don't Stop Believin', so let's just forget about it, OK?)

That Tom Hanks showed up to this third-rate blend of nostalgia and blatant attempts to lure younger demos ("Glee" getting an award?) shows what a class act he is. Not only did he attend with castmates Peter Scolari, Holland Taylor, and Thelma Hopkins, he--I think--stuck around and acted like a "regular guy" while they made jokes about how much bigger a star he was. Hanks grabbed his trophy with good spirit and acted happy to be there.

I think that's pretty "Big" of him. Clearly he was the big dog in the room, but he didn't act like it, at least on camera. He did a lot better job of enjoying himself at the awards show than I did just watching it. So I give Tom Hanks an award of my own: The Cultureshark Lifetime Achievement Award for Outstanding Achievement in Livening Up Industry Events While Remaining an All-Around Good Sport. I'll bet if I asked him nicely, he'd visit this blog and accept it, making a gracious and witty speech as he did.

No comments: