Wednesday, June 16, 2010

This Week in DVD

The Book of Eli: Hey, the Tony Committee or Tony Foundation or whatever just gave Denzel Washington a Tony. The guy busts his ass on stage every night, he deserves an opportunity to make a buck in a post-apocalyptic action/adventure flick, right? I'm sure the Tony Association would agree.

Unthinkable: Every so often a movie comes out that makes me feel way out of touch. Samuel L. Jackson, Carrie-Anne Moss...thriller with political overtones...Where did this come from? Is this straight to video or did it actually hit theaters? I hope you're not reading this for those kinds of answers, because, uh, yeah, I don't got 'em.

Youth in Revolt: I'm not so sure the timing was right for this movie last year: "OK, everyone's starting to get a little sick of Michael Cera. So here he is...in a dual role!"

When in Rome: Let's just say "Roman Holiday" ain't losing any sleep.

Happy Tears: The idea of Demi Moore and Parker Posey as sisters intrigues me...but only for a few minutes. And, see, this film is like an hour and a half.

Leave It to Beaver Season 3: Shout Factory may not be perfect, but I give them a lot of credit for resuming this long-stalled show with both individual season sets and a forthcoming complete series...and actually telling people they were gonna do that! I'm not a huge fan of the Beaver (hold your jokes, please), but I think you have to ask yourself--and I've probably made this point before--what kind of world do we live in if we can't get an iconic show like "Leave It to Beaver" out on video?

My Three Sons Season 2 Volume 2: Sadly, there's just no buzz about this show on DVD. I'd like to think it's because of the split-season approach, the music replacement, or the glacial pace of releases, but maybe I'm kidding myself. I've seen practically all the color episodes in syndication, too, so I hope CBS Video keeps the black-and-whites coming, but who knows?

2 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I never even knew there was a "Bub" before "Uncle Charley" growing up in front of the set. I didn't see the b&w Sons until they became a staple of Nick at Nite back in the good ol' days.

I was fortunate to score a big honkin' rootpeg set of My Three Sons a year or two ago with all 380 episodes on 45 discs. Now, I would have been more than happy to purchase the CBS-Paramount releases but when I found out they changed the music a la The Fugitive I said hasta la vista, baby.

Rick Brooks said...

I'd wager if anyone could make up for the "loss" of Uncle Charley, it would be Bub.

I'm thinking right now about those great promos Nick at Nite ran when it was still Nick at Nite. "And there's Buuuuub...He makes them fooood..."