Tuesday, June 29, 2010

This Week in DVD

Hot Tub Time Machine: Did I ever tell you about my own high-concept movie idea? "Bathtub Time Machine," starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman as President Taft, who gets stuck in a bathtub that happens to be a time machine and experiences all kinds of wacky fun in the eighties...the 1880s!

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief: I know this is a big family adventure movie based on a popular series of books, but as far as the movie goes...uh, this is kind of embarrassing, but I have to ask: Was this a big deal or what? I really don't remember much about it being out there.

Leave it to Beaver: Raise a glass to Shout Factory for picking up Universal's slack and releasing the seminal fifties sitcom in complete form and in season sets. Early reviews indicate this is DVD done right, so enjoy, fans.

Real McCoys Season 4: Throw a glass at Infinity for releasing butchered syndicated prints of the old Walter Brennan rural sitcom. But, hey, I guess at least they're getting them out there. Yeah...at least. (I'm, assuming Season 4 is edited, too, but maybe the "Digitally Restored" tag on the box cover actually means something. If so, to borrow from Master Detective Nick Carter, if I'm wrong, I'll apologize.

Life with Elizabeth: Down a glass of something potent to get through two discs' worth of episodes of this mild sitcom which proves not everything Betty White touches is genius.

New York Confidential: Broderick Crawford--check. Film noir--check. Rare movie previously circulating in murky collector copies--check. Me want disc!

Ricky Steamboat: The Life of the Dragon: WWE finally releases a big DVD set devoted to one of my favorite wrestlers of the eighties. I'll always remember the time Magnificent Muraco hung him over the top rope...and the time Randy Savage "ruptured his larynx" with the timekeeper's bell...and the time Jake Roberts DDT'ed him on the concrete...Hey, come to think of it, this guy sure got his ass kicked a lot, didn't he?

No comments: