Thursday, June 17, 2010

Vault of Coolness: Low Demand?

I popped into a local used book joint yesterday and found a few interesting items, most notably this little volume I've been wanting to get for years:


I found it in a show business biography section, but the store classified the book in an even more detailed category. I didn't notice that category on the price tag--I was too busy noticing, well, the price--but when the cashier checked me out, I saw it flash on the register:

LOW DEMAND CELEB

Say what, now? Chico Marx is a LOW DEMAND celeb?

"You know, it's-a like-a that song about-a the sailor."
"Song about a sailor?"
"Yeah, you know--way, hey, low de-man down."

OK, that's REALLY bad, even if Chico himself pops onto your screen and says it, but I tried. I can't play the piano, either.

Seriously, I'm kind of miffed that this store considers one of the Marx Brothers a low demand celebrity, though I suppose it means I got a better deal on the book (not a great deal, though, considering it's a somewhat worn former library copy, but I'm happy). Still, if the Marxes don't rate as high demand, I shudder to think what this store thinks of the Dick Cavett autobio I also bought....but the 17-cent price tag is probably a clue.

No comments: